PDA

View Full Version : Crash of Pau (Fokker) : 6 months suspended for the pilot

jcjeant
3rd Jan 2012, 20:07
Crash de Pau: 6 mois avec sursis pour le pilote | Air Journal (http://www.air-journal.fr/2012-01-03-crash-de-pau-6-mois-avec-sursis-pour-le-pilote-542058.html)

Google translation :hmm:

Google Traduction (http://translate.google.be/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.air-journal.fr%2F2012-01-03-crash-de-pau-6-mois-avec-sursis-pour-le-pilote-542058.html&act=url)

captplaystation
3rd Jan 2012, 20:39
One would have to question whether this crews training on type was as "robust" as required.
I was very fortunate that my Type Rating Training on the Fokker 100 was conducted ,in Amsterdam,with my principal instructor in the Sim being an ex Fokker Factory pilot.
He absolutely drummed into our heads that we must NEVER even contemplate a take off if there was 1% of doubt that there was 1% chance of icing being present.
He emphasised that a tactile inspection of the wing was fundamental to, & indeed the only way, to be sure contamination was not present.
He emphasised that windtunnel tests conducted by Fokker following the loss in Macedonia, incurred with a Fokker pilot in command, had defined the worst case scenario as being a very fine layer of frost which totally disrupted the laminar flow.
He emphasised further, that disregarding his advice could/would result in our unfortunate demise.

It appears, given the weather conditions in Pau that day, that this Regional crew, either A- didn't receive the quality of training I did, or B - were blatantly careless.
If it were the former, AF were lucky to get away with 20,000€ , in the latter case, the Commander was lucky to receive only 6mths suspended.
In common (as proven in accident statistics) with "baby" DC9's & recent Canadairs, this aircraft (indeed any swept wing jet without LE devices) WILL bite you, if a take-off is attempted with any contamination present.
This should have been firmly emphasised to the crew, as it was to me in my TR course 6 years before this accident. All the facts regarding this types behaviour with icing present were well documented.

Reinhardt
15th Jan 2012, 14:15
"même si ses avocats ont regretté une condamnation alors que les responsabilités étaient « à chercher parmi ceux qui n’ont pas tiré les conséquences des précédents accidents survenus à cause du givre.. "

Moi j'en connais surtout un qui n'a pas "tiré les conséquences des précédents... à cause du givre", et qui s'en tire finalement assez bien.

Ils auraient pu tous y rester sur cette affaire-là.

On ne va pas se laisser em...der par un peu de givre, non ?
eh oui, c'est devenu une phrase culte ... ... ...

6 years before this accident. All the facts regarding this types behaviour with icing present were well documented.
ben voilà, on s'intéresse à son boulot ou pas.

Manflex55
23rd Jan 2012, 05:01
Facile de commenter sur les décisions de l’équipage après coup!
Condamner les pilotes et en faire des boucs émissaires n’améliorera jamais la sécurité aérienne. Le gars en question ne s'est pas levé le matin en se disant: "tiens, je vais me faire un camion au décollage".

falconflier
23rd Jan 2012, 13:35
C'est vrai. En meme temps, aucun pilote se leve le matin se disant "je vais etre negligent a la commande de mon appareil". Mais la question de givre sur les ailes n'est pas quelque chose de nouveau. Les accidents d'un Bombardier 604 a Manchester en 2003 et d'un Bombardier 601 au Colorado en 2004 sont directement lies a un minimum de contamination sur les ailes. Je ne condamne pas le commandant de bord, nous avons tous fait des erreurs dans nos carrieres, mais il y a quand meme un certain niveau de responsabilite qui doit etre place sur l'equipage. Peut etre pas le prison mais la suspension, voire meme la revocation du permis n'est pas au dela de raisonable. Il existe de nombreux pilotes ayant eu la suspension de leur certificat pour des infractions bien inferieures a ca. Ne minimiser pas le fait qu'il a tout de meme coute la vie a un homme et la destruction de son appareil.

captplaystation
23rd Jan 2012, 17:17
It may indeed be easy to be "wise after the event", but I know of no-one in my little company operating 3 FK100's who was not 100% aware (in 2001) of the possible consequences of an attempted take -off with even a hint of contamination.
Difficult to believe that the accident crew, working for a much bigger operator of the type than I was, would not be aware of the Macedonian accident & Fokkers subsequent unequivocaly strict advice.
The only conclusion I can draw is that no-one performed the (100% essential) tactile inspection, or, if they did, decided to chance their luck anyhow.
I do not like to castigate crew after an accident, & am firmly of the belief in most instances "there but for the grace of God go I"
In this accident I know this is not the case however, as 1 fatal FK100 accident was enough proof for me to take the instruction VERY seriously.
Difficult to believe this crew did.

ACCP
23rd Jan 2012, 19:58
As far as the Fokker 70/100 is concerned there is only one de-icing policy you have to know: "if you have any doubt about icing, then there is not doubt, you de-ice".

Avec les conditions météo telles qu'elles étaient ce jour-là, il est possible que quelques types d'avions n'aient pas besoin de dégivrer. Mais s'il y a bien un type qui soit susceptible au givrage quand les autres n'y sont pas, c'est bien le Fokker 100, et les 7 ans que j'ai passé sur cet aéronef n'ont fait que le confirmer.

Ça fait 20 ans que les Fokker 100 volent et que ces problèmes de susceptibilité au givrage sont connus. Alors, ça la fout mal quand même quand quelqu'un semble tout juste découvrir ce que tout le monde connait depuis des lustres.