PDA

View Full Version : Where to go after PPL?

Lil Miss Ambitious
3rd Jan 2012, 19:33
Hi
I know that from my age (14!Just started PPL! and LOVIN every second of it!)it looks way to early for me to be think about what to do after my PPL,(only just got headset!!!:ok:) but, each time I look on websites they contradict each other and I am probably wondering a stupid question here. However,is it only schemes and companies that run CPL, and ATPL courses or can this be done at a Airfield? IF so which ones in the UK?
Sorry probably silly question, nothing I've read is clear.:O:O

Bearcat F8F
3rd Jan 2012, 21:18
A LOT of schools in the UK can get you a CPL or frozen ATPL. Google is your best friend - it's a big list.

Companies such as BA or FlyBe run cadet schemes usually for an MPL or fATPL. If I am not mistaken to get a CPL you must be 18 (perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong).

Good luck with your PPL. Always good to start as early as possible :ok:

Perhaps by the time you leave school/ university, the RAF will no longer have a back log of pilots and F-35s will be around too by then... that's much more fun than flying buses all day long, and paying £85K for the "privilege" :ugh:

Lil Miss Ambitious
5th Jan 2012, 07:12
Thanks that's great! :):):)

KAG
5th Jan 2012, 07:20
Started your PPL at 14? Good for you!
I started at 15, and I am really thanksful, because the earlier you learn the different PPL exercices, the more they become "natural" later.
Don't forget to try glider!

Even if age is not really a problem (with a lot of motivation many "facts" can be proven false individually) as long as you start before around 45, but I really do beleive that starting young will ease the learning process later, aswell with the sim checks and interviews.

Halfwayback
5th Jan 2012, 09:50
Welcome to the PPRune Wannabee forum! I wish that I had started flying at your age but I did solo at 21!

As the site name indicates this is a Professional pilots site and you will discover there are a lot of highly experienced commercial and military pilots here within the various forums that can offer assistance to get you on your way. However we are not teachers as such and we do expect people to do a bit of searching on their own. To help with this there is a search function on the site and with a bit of time spent researching you will learn a lot about the aviation industry. You will also discover that most of the questions you may have will have been asked and answered already!

However to answer your question, the professional exams require specific training and experience and there are numerous ways of achieving these qualifications. Simplistically the routes are the 'self-improver', professional academy (known as an Flight training Organisation, FTO) or the Armed Forces in their various forms. The latter is the only route that pays you to learn to fly which is important as the other routes can involve a lot of money to become a fully qualified commercial pilot. I don't want to go much deeper because you will discover the pros and cons as you conduct your research.

Just to stop a stream of responses that would include a number of sciolists (see the bottom of this page) I shall lock the thread but drop me a PM if you have more questions.

I hope you enjoy the site and I wish you good luck.

HWB