PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude testing at different training establishments

Paperplanes89
3rd Jan 2012, 16:36
Evening,

The only way I'm going to enter flight training is via an airline tagged scheme such as BA FPP, OAA Easyjet MPL, CTC's Monarch Wings, FTE's Flybe scheme etc etc. Just a quick question about the aptitude testing, Oxford use compass, as do CTC and PTC. At each training school when applying for a scheme a year must have passed since last taking the compass test. However, if applying to every scheme at multiple school's then it is likely that you would have taken the compass test a fair few times in 12 months, perhaps gaining an advantage. My question is this: are your compass test results something that only the training school holds or are they stored elsewhere meaning each school will know your results from a previous test at another training school for example. i.e. if I applied for Monarch Wings but failed through CTC, would I be eligible to take the test again the following month for OAA's Easyjet MPL for example, or will my previous result be stored within the software (as the RAF aptitude tests record all your information and the last time you took the tests). Or with each new scheme/FTO is there a fresh start? Has anyone had to declare whether they had taken the compass test in the last 12months for any scheme?

Hope that's clear enough.

BerksFlyer
3rd Jan 2012, 22:24
I'd also like to know this. I did the compass tests a few months back and would like to apply to another scheme at another school that also use the same tests. It doesn't seem to make sense to have to redo them, though I imagine schools will want you to redo it do they can charge for the privilege.

BerksFlyer
3rd Jan 2012, 23:12
Fate Hunter,

It may be the case that he doesn't want to redo tests as he's already done well recently. They may be able to look up recent scores and decide whether or not to progress you based on them.

Paperplanes89
3rd Jan 2012, 23:20
I hear what you're saying fate hunter - I haven't even taken the compass test yet. Without wanting to get into another debate, I think you can sharpen yourself up for the compass tests or any aptitude tests for that matter with a bit of practice - maybe not dramatically so but maybe by 5-10% which could make all the difference when these schemes are so damn competitive - so was just wondering if I would be unable to apply anywhere for 12months - definitely wouldn't want to miss out on FPP! ...I have my eyes on a scheme open at the moment but am wondering whether to apply because given my workload currently I'm not sure if I would be at the apex of my ability but would probably find the experience of a selection day/getting a feel for the aptitude tests etc to be beneficial...and yes if I failed by a country mile I'd probably think of pursuing something a little different :ooh:!

Paperplanes89
3rd Jan 2012, 23:38
Fate Hunter,

Thanks for your help. Yes, a fairly sound idea - I'll get on the phone tomorrow. I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping during the aptitude tests - well I hope so at least!

artlite
4th Jan 2012, 08:03
Interesting, is there a way to make a sample test somewhere? I'm already licensed but out of curiosity would like to see how well I'd do, lol!

Paperplanes89
4th Jan 2012, 11:40
Got in touch today - it's a completely seperate selection and you would be tested again independently at each FTO, regardless of whether you took the compass test only yesterday. artlite - there is no exact replica of the test online for obvious reasons but apparently the tests here: Advanced Compass and aptitude tests for pilots free pilapt test - Latest Pilot Jobs provides the latest aviation vacancies around the world. (http://latestpilotjobs.com/compass-and-pilot-aptitude-tests.html) -are at least similar.

kwb911
6th Jan 2012, 19:37
Paperplanes89

Are you sure CTC uses the compass test? When applied they used Pilapt for the selection tests.

Paperplanes89
6th Jan 2012, 20:00
Yes you are correct, my mistake.