PDA

View Full Version : Operating in and out of Russia, advice and experience appreciated

winterOPS
3rd Jan 2012, 14:17
Hi Everyone

I have read a lot on these forums but not written in to many posts yet. However I seek info and thought maybe Iīll find some info and help on operating in and out of Russia, Belarus area amongst the pprune people.
I do speak the language (Russian) but there is more to it than that.
Would not fancy a humungous :} bill at the end of the day. That will surely ruin the evening... I have read some horror stories on these boards. How do I avoid these problems?

Small Turbo prop operations (freight and corporate) generally but how about 100LL supply and general fees.

Is there any kind soul who could give me some advice, thoughts and ant heads up. By thread or PM would appreciate any help greatly.

best regards

winterOPS

VIKING9
3rd Jan 2012, 15:30
Greetings !

Maybe let us know which airfields you are most likely to operate to. Suggestions, tips and info will be more accurate then.

As a rule though, Russia and Belarus pose no real issues.

ford cortina
3rd Jan 2012, 15:55
Been in a few times in a Jet, use a feet to meters conversion chart, ask for QNH and try to use ICAO standard R/T. Other than that non main worries

winterOPS
3rd Jan 2012, 22:41
Sorry about the double post, the first one seemed to have disappeared.

Thinking of mainly airports around St. Petersburg, Moscow and Minsk (Belarus)
like, Novgorod, Vnukovo, Chkalovsky, Grabtzevo and so on. North western parts. Nothing east of Moscow

Is there smaller airports a bit off which are usable with good continuity and pricing?

Rumors about high costs for handling and fuel has crossed. So the company is a bit afraid to send us of.:rolleyes: I am trying to find a way to not turn down offers and personally would not mind flying there from time to time.:cool:

grateful for your answers.
/winter

lear60fellow
4th Jan 2012, 08:27
sharpen your credit card, you will need it, taxes are very high, then add fuel, deicing, hotels....what you have calculated double it.

cskafan123
4th Jan 2012, 10:39
Do not use VNAV in QFE operations( unless your FMS can convert the heights). When you start descending into Moscow area from the north west plan to be at BG at approximately FL260. This will help you better merge with the traffic and prepare for the approach. ATC is not the best,so be ahead of the game.Observe the traffic on TCAS, reduce speed. Be prepared for long vectoring if your destination is one of these- UUWW,UUEE,UMMO( especially for the last one).

epsum
4th Jan 2012, 11:00
Probably the best airports at Moscow (where is ok to go) is Sheremetyevo (UUEE), Domodedovo(UUDD) and Ostafyevo (UUMO). UUMO is bizjet only airport, so not so long delays, but hence they share airspace with VKO, you might get some vectors (in the other hand, last time in VKO, we flew around Moscow zone 1h40min for approach). But UUMO might get slippery and with 1.8km rwy and ILS only on one side, it could be tricky.

ULLI in the other hand is almost as good as any other airport in Europe (no delays and usually good service), but if you need refuelling around 8 local time, be prepared that fueling guys shift ends at 8am (because old shift doesnt want to go fueling you and new one needs their cofee, cigarettes and chit-chat), so you might expect 30-45 minutes delay for fuel.

Chkalovsky (excuse my spelling) is Russian only airport, so you need navigator to fly there.

If you are calm, have tons of patience and are almost always ahead-of-the-game - then there is nothing to worry about, lot of foreigners flying there.

His dudeness
4th Jan 2012, 11:58
We operate relatively often to UUMO. A good airport that for winter ops lacks as mentioned the 2nd ILS. We several times requested 26/ILS when 08 was in use and wx was close to the NDB minimas on 08 and NEVER got it. Both ends have only basic lighting which is a major concern IMO when the wx is marginal.

Sometimes the handler there wants payment in advance.

Handling is okay, Airport services work. Be prepared to wait for customs, when there is another movement then there might be a 10-15 min wait...

Would not fancy a humungous bill at the end of the day

Sorry to spoil it, but I have yet to find a Russian airport that is not totally overpriced. Then there is the fact that the Russians are the inventor of creative billing...be sure that when the Handler gives you anything to sign, that you really check what boxes are ticked. Some of them like to charge you VIP-Hall usage when you didnīt use it at all, some of them just book it for your flight if you not ex-pressingly say no in advance (my guys donīt want the VIP hall)

I personally find ATC not bad, especially around Moscow. English is not a factor anymore...a huge difference since I was there the first time almost 20 years ago. Plan 10-15 min extra fuel minimum.

Speaking the language will help you enormously, wish I could speak Russian...

winterOPS
4th Jan 2012, 12:48
His dudeness and fellas

Thanks a bunch!

Just the kind of info and experience that I sought.:ok:

We have a turbo prop but it will never see FL260 tough. :8
It is the "creative" billing that is the prime concern.

Fuel pricing JET A1 and how about 100LL is it disappearing?
in relation to when refueling in north east/western europe and Balitcum.

His dudeness
4th Jan 2012, 12:55
For us the pricing of JetA1 is okay, since we fuel at home with a hefty MOT. (non AOC ops).

Prices do of course vary a lot and actually you should ask your handler before flight. No clue about Avgas...