PDA

View Full Version : Orangutans get iPad before EK Pilots

Kapitanleutnant
3rd Jan 2012, 11:40
First pilots, then doctors and astronauts – now orangutans get iPads (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/first-pilots-then-doctors-and-astronauts-now-orangutans-get-ipads/?utm_source=Digital+Trends+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e85a2114ff-RSS_DAILY_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email)

ENFP
3rd Jan 2012, 12:18
Don't panic. The implementation team should always get issued first to iron out any training issues before the rest of the company get them:E

MrMachfivepointfive
3rd Jan 2012, 12:36
...and that's exactly why my vote goes to Samsung and Android.

saywhat
3rd Jan 2012, 16:47
Go buy one. They're not that expensive.

Left Wing
4th Jan 2012, 03:37
No Jeppesen on Android yet.. but coming soon

mini cooper
4th Jan 2012, 15:55
More to the point what the heck are they doing with the 777 EFB / laptop / fixed laptop chaos? A tablet of some sort with power point (one that works - for those that don't know a couple of our power points which would be perfect can't be used!) would be a good way of sorting out the EFB.
Any news?

Craic Ore
4th Jan 2012, 19:56
Mini - I agree, that patch job of a fixed laptop thing is a joke. What's next, no coat closet space to use?

saywhat - I think buying one doesn't get to the point. Why install a $50-100k system that's total crap when you could integrate personal iPads for charts etc for a fraction of the cost and a way better interface. Yes, I have one, but NO, I'm not allowed to use it onboard (what they don't know won't kill them tho ;) )

Mr Good Cat
5th Jan 2012, 07:48
Go buy one. They're not that expensive.

That's not the problem. SOPs don't permit use of personal electronic devices in the flight deck.

The only way you can justify using one at the moment is if the EFB crashes and you need to locate information quickly... but the EFBs are so unstable, slow and difficult to use that getting to the desired resource when it's needed is a serious problem especially on the post-fit Class II devices.:ugh:

The LIDO e-route manual is a pain in the butt when trying to locate individual CRARs, not least if you need two pages at the same time e.g. Loss of comms over the pole when transitioning from Oceanic to Edmonton!

pilotguy1222
5th Jan 2012, 09:44
EK's issues is not with the iPad being used on the FD, it is with the unknown battery life. It is not replaceable, so then EK sees it as having 3000 paperweights after 3-4 years.

Trader
5th Jan 2012, 11:38
Why 3000 ipad?? How about 2 per airplane (like we are doing with the laptops). With a good case they are pretty difficult to damage. Then, offer the required programing so that pilots could download it onto their own ipad, if desired, and you have a great system.

mini cooper
5th Jan 2012, 11:49
I may be wrong but Jet Blue use the ipad as do other airlines - are they expecting paperweights as well in 3-4 years or our guys looking for excuses?

Do you still have a battery problem if you can plug it in - hence my point about making the unusable power point usable (the one by the speaker if you didn't know!)

Thridle Op Des
7th Jan 2012, 03:43
I suggest you see Installing iPad 3G Battery Replacement - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPad-3G-Battery-Replacement/3186/1) before using the iPad as a paperweight.

TOD