PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Valiant at Molesworth 1956RAF Molesworth held an Open House in the mid 1950s

DougGordon
3rd Jan 2012, 10:21
An Autumn Festival was held at Molesworth in 1956, on the 12th and 13th October. It was part of a fund raising effort of the USAF to raise money for a memorial in St Clements Church to honour US WW2 airmen. Valiant B(PR) Mk1, WZ396 appeared. It was in natural metal finish. WZ396 was assigned to 543 Squadron. I'm putting the finished touches to an article on 543 and its activities at the moment and I would very much like to get hold of a photo of the aircraft at Molesworth at this time.
Can anyone help with this? Naturally, due credit would be given.
Thanks,
Doug

T-21
6th Jan 2012, 08:19
Pictures here Vickers 'Valiant', RAF Molesworth, England 1950s - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/recoveringscot/sets/72157618198531122/detail/)

eMACaRe
6th Jan 2012, 08:44
Nice photo's, but, according to Doug on another Forum board, the "owner" of these photographs is not willing to part with them......
MACR

T-21
6th Jan 2012, 13:17
Thanks great shame for the author,Catch22 situation lets hope the owner relents.

DougGordon
8th Jan 2012, 08:27
It is a great shame; but one must respect the wishes of the guy concerned. Because he is a 'slide collector' he does not know who took the photos and is worried that if the photos are seen he will in some way be liable to prosecution, if the original owner does not like it!
Yes, we know that this is very unlikely to happen, but there we are.
It does raise other questions as to the manner in which photos are shared. As an author and enthusiast, I am more than willing to share photos with others of the same, without ever demanding any payment; with the proviso that I am not using them myself at the the time. Fortunately there are others like me and this is how it should be. However I am appalled that I have, on occasion been asked for a great deal of money to use a photo, even when the owner did not take the photo, but has it in their 'collection'. On such occasions I have of course declined the offer.

ColinB
8th Jan 2012, 09:34
I am interested in opinions on the view that if images are posted on the internet they are in the public domain unless stated otherwise.

DougGordon
9th Jan 2012, 14:15
ColinB
Thanks for the comment.

I think that, as a matter of courtesy, I will always ask the owners permission even if it is evident that the photos are in the public domain. The only snag with this is, that when permission is with held, one cannot, in all conscience, ignore and go ahead anyway; as in my recent experience.
I reiterate, most people are happy to oblige if they are aviation enthusiasts. It is often the 'collectors' who are not.