PDA

View Full Version : EK flight time

roksajet
2nd Jan 2012, 16:08
Hi everyone,
I guess you all fly around 900 hours per year specially on 777. Since your flight time count only when you are actually flying,how many hours do you spend in the aircraft if most of your flights are augmented I guess.

Thanks

Wizofoz
2nd Jan 2012, 16:21
Hi roks.

Firstly most of our flights are not augmented. We do more and more so called "Ultra long Haul" flights, but they are still a minority of our flights. At present we have (if I count correctly!!) eight destinations that require a four pilot crew (with two more starting this year) and four or five that require three pilots.

On trip requiring four pilots, most involve being the "Operating" crew in one direction, in which case you art credited with all the flight, and "Augment" in the other, in which you are credited with hours actually in the seat (so approximatley half)

MATMAX
2nd Jan 2012, 19:19
Stop crying , pilots can fly until there is still some fuel in the tanks , no ?
If there is not enough , just put some engines to idle , you will save fuel ...

Wizofoz
2nd Jan 2012, 19:23
Hi Matt.

How in hell is your comment in any way remotely relevant to the question asked in the OP?

MATMAX
2nd Jan 2012, 19:36
Hi Wiz,
For me you did not reply to his question :"how many hours do you spend in the aircraft ?".

MATMAX
2nd Jan 2012, 19:41
In fact , to tell you the truth , i am a bit ironic here but everybody knows that Pilots are flying a lot ...
Do you know how many hours Engineers are working ?

MATMAX
2nd Jan 2012, 20:02
Easy answer , try it , i am interested in the answer ...
We are working until things are done and properly ...
Wiz ? still here ?

roksajet
2nd Jan 2012, 20:54
Ok I don't know about you, but currently I'm doing around 600 hours per year. I'm interested because I'm coming to selection in a few weeks and if you down there fly 900 block hours + another 400 hours in the cabin.....Everything is double there, double the pay, double the risk,..

That brings me to another question, can you choose to fly let say 80 % of full duty for 80% pay?

Thanks

White Knight
2nd Jan 2012, 22:03
We are working until things are done and properly ...

So are we Max:ugh:

Go back to your Meccano set and leave discussion of 'flying hours' to PILOTS:hmm::hmm:

whossorrynow
3rd Jan 2012, 00:09
That brings me to another question, can you choose to fly let say 80 % of full duty for 80% pay?

Not really no. But a few years ago they did introduce a new 'cost neutral' way of paying us which means we now do 120% of the work for 90% of the pay.

Bypass ratio
3rd Jan 2012, 02:23
As a Skipper on the 777, I completed 835 hours (total) for 2011 which includes the augmenting time. I only used 30 days of annual leave instead of 42 as there were insufficient slots :ugh:

etops777
3rd Jan 2012, 04:07
I've used 31 days of leave and did 870 hours in 2011(including augmenting time)

Mango
3rd Jan 2012, 04:47
I've used 31 days of leave and did 870 hours in 2011(including augmenting time)

As a Skipper on the 777, I completed 835 hours (total) for 2011 which includes the augmenting time. I only used 30 days of annual leave instead of 42 as there were insufficient slots

Not trying to put petrol on a fire. Rather just want to show the disparity amongst fleets and seat position I've averaged 55hrs/month. 513hrs for 2011.

roksajet
3rd Jan 2012, 05:59
O I see, so my predictions were way off, luckily.

Bypass ratio
3rd Jan 2012, 06:13
I have 11 sectors for January with 88 hours. The majority of ULR flying is on B777 so we generally have more days off. I count my rest days as days off and I've never been called to operate a Standby ULR. With that in mind I have 18 days off in January.

OzzieA380
3rd Jan 2012, 06:25
Rolsajet - to answer your question a good friend of mine - a B777 F/O - last year did 1054hrs in the jet with a total of 876hrs "in the seat". As per Bypass he also couldn't take all his leave as nearly every off peak leave he requested was denied. In comparison on the A380 fleet we flew a lot less but still had problems with leave. Currently I have 3 trips for Jan and a check with a Capt friend on the B777 says he has 8. Now this is a simple snap shot, but worth considering. I hope that helps. :ok:

Laker
3rd Jan 2012, 12:02
B777 FO Last 12 months of flying - 732 hours

The Zohan
3rd Jan 2012, 16:58
airbus skipper with almost 9 yrs. in the company averaged 720 hrs./year including augmenting.

no augmenting at all for captains on the airbus now since the good old times when we used to fly to the us and oz.

always did my 42 days of leave :E

tz

MATMAX
3rd Jan 2012, 21:26
white knight - topper harley ,
do you remember last time you left a clean cock-pit ...?
i can see that you answered to his question ...

JAArule , if you do not know what to do in the galleys , go out from the aircraft and help the guys , i am sure , you too will be very helpful ...

White Knight
3rd Jan 2012, 22:59
do you remember last time you left a clean cock-pit ...?

Max - I left my cockpit clean just yesterday:ok::ok:

When did you last leave your Microsoft Flightsim clean??????

Usually I put 'Nil Defects' in the tech-log, but if I know that a stupid French LAME is taking MY aeroplane I put loads of dirty defects in it:cool::cool::cool:

Future Expat
4th Jan 2012, 09:24
So if a pilot is doing 1054 in aircraft and 876 in seat how does this affect
1. Pay
2. Promotion counting of hours
3. Logbook entries in UAE CAA vs home country, ie. in Australia 1054 in aircraft would be illegal and the limit is 900/1000 depending on circumstances.

falconeasydriver
4th Jan 2012, 11:07
What's the big deal?, my last airline outfit in the UK only counted seat time unless you were PIC.
The CAR's here are basically a copy and paste of the old UK CAP 371.
We operate under UAE rules, and regulator approved variations, if you don't like the law of the land mayby finding another land in which to fly would be the answer? Just saying, as I don't feel particularly fatigued, except maybe after an LAX or IAH.
88 hrs flt time, with around 110 duty last month.

500 above
4th Jan 2012, 14:50
MATMAX - sod off and play with your wrench or something. Mods - time for him to take another 'break'?

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/425360-what-ek-pilots-thinking-about-locals-gulf.html

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-technicians/403010-about-emirates-technician.html

Mr Good Cat
4th Jan 2012, 17:48
730 hours for the last 12 months INCLUDING time in the bunk.

I too do not want to add fuel to the fire but I'd actually like to be working a teeny bit harder (stands back and waits for incoming). Suppose I should be careful what I wish for...

The way I bid my roster means I tend to get a few ULRs to the States which is fine for me as I get more days off in Dubai and the flights are very easy (8 hours bunk and 8 hours at the controls). 50 hour layover in San Francisco beats 24 hours in China after a 3am departure.

I fully expect to be doing 900 hours a year when (if :uhoh:) I make the left seat though.

Swan Man
9th Jan 2012, 09:00
I would be curious how many pilots at EK are over the 900 hour a year limit and even over 1000 hours. Most of the pilots posting their yearly totals must be management or have an agenda.
If you fly 90 hard hours a month (easy to do in the 777) you will time out in 10 months to state the obvious. Even if you have 42 days vacation you should have 18 days of "Off" time.
I am well on my way to being over 900 hours for the year but I have not reached that milestone yet.
If a pprune poster says he is only flying 500 or 621 hours a year he does not include the sim time or jumpseat time that is included in his training duties. A non TRI or E flies 80 hard hours a month ( a very low total at Emirates) is still going to be well over 800 hours for the year. Be honest people and let the pilots thinking about joining Ek have the real picture.

MATMAX
9th Jan 2012, 09:05
Mr KKK,
I note that you are raising defects only to give Engineers hard times ... what a great professional you are ...
FYI , you can write down whatever in the books , but do not forget who is signing the release of it ...
I notice that you still did not answer to the question of the guy here ...

500 above,
You too , i do not see your answer to the question asked here ...
Now , read again the links you have posted as they have not been written by myself ... so , there is no need for you to call your mummy ...

MATMAX
9th Jan 2012, 09:07
And my friend , as you are quoting some threads that had been closed already , i guess that you will be the one who will be "out" ...

Mr Good Cat
9th Jan 2012, 10:41
If a PPRuNe poster says he is only flying 500 or 621 hours a year he does not include the sim time or jumpseat time that is included in his training duties.

Not true at all. I think it reflects the fact that we are fat on first officers (for foreign speakers - FAT means overcrewed - no reference to the BMI policy!)...

They knew all the deliveries of 777s were about to ramp up so they over-recruited in anticipation ready for the upgrade of the experienced guys and the extra ULRs planned (DFW and SEA). The new FCI reflects this.

Hope this clarifies things and helps convince you that not every neutral or non-negative post is a sabotage attempt by management types.