PDA

View Full Version : Difference between LPC and LST?

Ethiopia
2nd Jan 2012, 05:46
Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question, but in my country we don't use this particular nomenclature and would like to make sure I get the meaning of these two acronyms correct. For now I could only find:

LST: License Skill Test
LPC: License Proficiency Check

Could you please tell me, what corresponds to:

ATPL Skill test? (LST in my opinion)
Initial Type Rating Issue? (LST?)
Type Rating Renewal? (LPC?)
Operator Proficiency Check (None of these two?)

Johnny Tightlips
2nd Jan 2012, 08:09
ATPL Skill test? (LST in my opinion)
Initial Type Rating Issue? (LST?)
Type Rating Renewal? (LPC?)
Operator Proficiency Check (None of these two?)

You are correct on all of these. An OPC has to be done every six months so once year it's just the OPC on it's own and the for the other sim you would do a combined LPC/OPC.

BillieBob
2nd Jan 2012, 20:08
Always a good idea to consult the source document, in this case JAR-FCL 1.001.

Proficiency checks: Demonstrations of skill to revalidate or renew ratings, and including such oral examination as the examiner may require.

Skill tests: Skill tests are demonstrations of skill for licence or rating issue, including such oral examination as the examiner may require.

MrAverage
3rd Jan 2012, 11:55
BillieBob

I was assured by a Panel Examiner that, at least in the UK, an LPC is for revalidation and an LST for renewal. Kind of contradicts your quote but seems logical.

mad_jock
3rd Jan 2012, 12:07
The only difference between an LPC and LST is the fact you need to do a raw data ILS intercept I think with a LST.

BillieBob
3rd Jan 2012, 16:39
Kind of contradicts your quote but seems logical.It might seem logical to you but it is, nevertheless, incorrect, as is reference to a 'Panel Examiner' - the Panel of Examiners ceased to exist on the implementation of JAR-FCL, almost 15 years ago. I suggest you refer the FIE in question to JAR-FCL 1.001 and/or FCL.010 so that he can bring himself up to date and avoid making such mistakes in the future.

mad_jock
4th Jan 2012, 02:06
Which is never going to happen billie bob as you well know. Hence the training for examinor which so many students have to deal with for there CPL and IR.

Ethiopia
4th Jan 2012, 05:07
Many thanks for all your help, the issue is now clear.

Have a good day.

Halfwayback
4th Jan 2012, 09:20
I'm glad you got your answer so I'm closing the thread.

HWB