PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to drop daylight flights from Singapore

ozaub
2nd Jan 2012, 04:18
Apparently Qantas will discontinue the daylight QF31 from Singapore in April. Why? Surely I'm not the only SLF that prefers convenient daytime travel.

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Jan 2012, 04:25
QF5 is still available (retimed but still earlier (i.e. more daylight) that QF31) and QF1 to go via Singapore - all from 26th of March. QF1 becomes Le Dugong.

ozaub
2nd Jan 2012, 08:01
Sorry, slip of the digit! It was QF 32, SIN to SYD I meant to ask about. There are many Australian expats in Singapore who prefer a daylight flight and will now need to use Singapore Air because after April QANTAS doesn't seem to have daylight flights from SIN to anywhere in Oz. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

standard unit
2nd Jan 2012, 08:07
There are many Australian expats in Singapore who prefer a daylight flight and will now need to use Singapore Air because after April QANTAS doesn't seem to have daylight flights from SIN to anywhere in Oz.

Which would suit Qantas management's plan perfectly. :yuk:

DrPepz
2nd Jan 2012, 08:26
There's still the 0905 departure from SIN to PER, QF72?

Ken Borough
2nd Jan 2012, 09:00
If QF72 will be relying on local joining traffic and does not have feed from the UK., then I suggest that it will soon be cut! What are these genii thinking,assuming they are capable of thought?

ohallen
2nd Jan 2012, 09:24
Seems to be another step in closing down International, lets wait for the announcement re Jetstar Asia.

Will someone please turn the lights off.

ditzyboy
2nd Jan 2012, 09:58
Qantas has stated that the QF72 is moving to a late evening departure ex-SIN.

Shed Dog Tosser
2nd Jan 2012, 10:03
Another gifted route to no star ?.

DrPepz
2nd Jan 2012, 10:13
OMG yes QF72 will have no connecting traffic from anywhere, including Asia from Interline partners and 3K!

SQ is now up to 24 weekly SINPER during the summer and will do year round 3 daily now instead of dropping to 17 weekly in Northern Summer. They've also massively increased the J capacity by putting in the 772 for 2 of the flights instead of the 333.

I remember 10 years ago there was a QF morning flight SINMEL, and it was operated by a 767. QF also operated SIN-HKG, SIN-DPS, SIN-CDG, SIN-FCO and SIN-CGK.

smiling monkey
2nd Jan 2012, 10:38
Surely I'm not the only SLF that prefers convenient daytime travel.

Then why not just take SQ?

limelight
2nd Jan 2012, 11:37
Being a regular traveler into Melbourne from Singapore, QF does not make the grade. After business there why would I take an overnighter when a daylight is available on SQ.
Competition is good, but when there is only one daylight choice, QF loses, unfortunately.

And don't tell me going via Sydney is a viable option.

standard unit
2nd Jan 2012, 11:43
Qantas management choose not to compete as part of their grand plan to destroy International from within.

It ought to be pretty obvious and well understood by now :rolleyes:

SOPS
2nd Jan 2012, 14:28
Why does it seem that Qantas wants to be no Qantas??? What the hell is going on???

hotnhigh
2nd Jan 2012, 20:35
Calm down everyone, the route to go in the next month or so will be FRA. Then AJs plan to transform international will be in great shape.

reubee
2nd Jan 2012, 21:20
Sorry, slip of the digit! It was QF 32, SIN to SYD I meant to ask about. There are many Australian expats in Singapore who prefer a daylight flight and will now need to use Singapore Air because after April QANTAS doesn't seem to have daylight flights from SIN to anywhere in Oz. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ask yourself this question. Are there 2450 (7x350) people a week who prefer a daylight flight? It looks like SQ has a 773 and 330 daylight flight but how many of those are feed from Europe and Asia

Being a regular traveler into Melbourne from Singapore, QF does not make the grade. After business there why would I take an overnighter when a daylight is available on SQ.

What time do you finish business in order to make the 1010 departure of SQ217?. I'd expect most business travellers would take the overnight flight, not lose a business day and get to spend an extra day with family.

ozaub
2nd Jan 2012, 21:21
In reply to Smiling Monkey at #11 there's only one reason I choose QF over SQ - money! QF usually charges less than SQ for a return fare SIN to SYD. And BTW QANTAS charges significantly less SIN to SYD return than SYD to SIN, presumeably because it is easier to exploit home market. Still, if all else fails I can fly AirAsia KUL to OOL daytime on a Wednesday, sometimes for under $100.

dr dre
2nd Jan 2012, 23:56
Calm down everyone, the route to go in the next month or so will be FRA.

So they're going to close down one of the routes with the highest load factors?? Only heard a year ago they wanted to increase flights there via Shanghai?

I had heard that closing down JNB was on the cards. If they cant make money on a route where they have a monopoly, then the company is truly stuffed.

On the other hand, who is going to prop up JQ Asia and International behind the scenes?

DrPepz
3rd Jan 2012, 01:36
QF charges less than SQ for SIN-SYD because SQ offers 4 flights across the day (0700, 0930, 2035 and the one after midnight). QF+BA will soon offer 3 flights to SYD leaving within like 20 minutes of each other - so from a schedule purpose it just means QF+BA offers one timing from SIN to SYD (there is no difference between a 8pm and 8.10pm departure to the consumer.

Would QF really drop FRA? Didn't this route have one of the highest load factors across their international network? Or have the massive capacity injections by SQ and LH into Germany killed QF? (Addition of 1x 77W and 1x A340 everyday to MUC + increasing SINFRA to A380 by both LH and SQ)

woody744
3rd Jan 2012, 10:38
It's on the Qf website, QF 72 now arrives 440am into Perth.. joy.. not:ugh:

Keg
3rd Jan 2012, 11:07
My parents used to fly exclusively with QF to/from SIN to visit my little brother. They used to plan the trip around the QF32 on the way home because of the daylight flight. They will NOT fly overnight to get home and thus they've been lost to Qantas from this point on. They're burning their FF points and switching to Star and Krisflyer. :(

THAT is what Joyce et al have done to Qantas. They've driven once loyal passengers away.

Metro man
3rd Jan 2012, 12:21
QF usually charges less than SQ for a return fare SIN to SYD.

So SQ are getting the passengers willing to pay a premium, leaving QF with the low yield mass market. I wonder why ?:hmm:

And BTW QANTAS charges significantly less SIN to SYD return than SYD to SIN, presumably because it is easier to exploit home market.

Airlines charge what they can get away with, Singapore is a major air hub with many airlines competing so fares tend to be attractive on routes serviced by multiple airlines. Eg I recently purchased a ticket DRW-SIN-DRW on Jokestar which have a monoploy on the route (soon to end courtesy of Silk Air), for less money I could have flown SIN-LHR-SIN which is about ten hours longer each way.:{

SOPS
3rd Jan 2012, 13:19
So the question has to be asked..if Jokestar can charge high fares on, for example ,DRW-SIN..why cant QF mainline do the flight and make money. Perhaps they can, but they are not getting the chance. It seems that come hell or highwater, the Irishman and his buddies want to kill Qantas.:ugh:

DrPepz
3rd Jan 2012, 15:11
What is the point of QF72 if it departs at 2330? It does not connect from NRT, HKG, BKK or any of the other 3K ports. Not any more than those flights will connect to QF78.......

blow.n.gasket
4th Jan 2012, 02:47
Qantas marketing says
"ENJOY THE JOURNEY"
it's just that we no longer go anywhere!

I can see JetStar's marketing when they finally takeover
"ENDURE THE JOURNEY" :E

ChrisJ800
4th Jan 2012, 05:40
Given a choice I will fly QF if possible as the points are more useful for us living in Oz. But I flew Oz to Spore at least 10 times in 2011 and most were on SQ due to the more convenient daytime flight times. My view is if my company only pays for coach, I will fly during daytime. If they pay biz class, I will fly overnight if it makes sense.

I got QF72 to Perth once last year after a good connection time from JQ Bangkok and it was 1am by the time we landed in perth and it was a big problem waiting for a taxi at that time of arrival. Guess it will be worse at 4 or 5am.

aveng
4th Jan 2012, 07:35
Might be waiting for Eng's to arrive. That time is right on shift changeover - and we start (and leave) at the Domestic terminal!:ugh:

SOPS
6th Jan 2012, 16:57
Might be trying to arrive when there are less than two international arrivals into Perth...the whole International Terminal is a complete disgrace..as an Australian/Perth person, I am embarressed every time I have to endure the place..especially arrivals:bored: