PDA

View Full Version : Outlook meeting gibberish PC to Mac

misterblue
1st Jan 2012, 16:35
I am in the midst of converting from PC to Mac.

All is going smoothly except the following.

I am running Outlook on PC (2010) and Mac (2011).

When I send a meeting request from the PC to the Mac, the request appears correctly in the header fields, but the text of the message is filled with gibberish and looks a bit crap.

Here's some of the gibberish, (there is a lot more, I assure you)

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 14.0 MIMEDIR//EN
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:REQUEST
X-MS-OLK-FORCEINSPECTOROPEN:TRUE
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:GMT Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16011028T020000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:-0000

Any idea what I am doing wrong and how to correct it?

Not using Outlook is not an option,

Thanks

MB

Spurlash2
1st Jan 2012, 17:05
misterblue,

Are you aware of OfficeforMacHelp.com (http://www.officeformachelp.com/). It has extensive help topics and also a Forum, which may be of help.

Shoulders sloped, as I don't know the answer!

mixture
2nd Jan 2012, 08:30
misterblue,

Is there a server platform in the mix here ? I assume you're not using them on Exchange server ? (not that it should matter, but the third-party server may be mangling something and need a bug report filed).

Also perhaps check here. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officesetupdeploy/thread/58a8afe0-d555-444f-a681-028e6b531191)

misterblue
2nd Jan 2012, 13:50
Thanks for the replies so far.

I now have a Windows 7 PC and Windows XP PC sending meetings to 2 Macs, one Snow leopard, one Lion.

All the meetings from PC to mac appear as above with the gibberish. Accepting the meeting does not reply in gibberish, ie it appears correctly.

I don't think there is an Exchange server thingy, I am using POP3 Btinternet accounts.

I have also tried setting up a new email account and that made no difference.

There has been a suggestion to 'Read All As Plain Text' in trust centre settings, but I can't find the trust centre on the Mac, (tho' I can on the PC).

Mister getting bluer:confused::confused:

Firestorm
3rd Jan 2012, 07:56
I saw the light and converted a few months ago. I installed Office for Mac, and found Outlook to be really quite buggy. All sorts of weird things happened, although I don't have to use the clever functions to send things to other computers and operating systems. I still haven't found solutions to any of the problems (it was things like entering appointments that then changed the time zone of the appointment). I have nothing much to offer in the way o help other than to say you are not alone!

misterblue
5th Jan 2012, 14:10
Well, I have found a workround anyway.

Signed the missus up for iCloud, and it wiped all her calendars clean!

At least there are none displaying incorrectly...:{:{:{

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jan 2012, 18:33
Without using an Exchange server as the intermediary, Outlook will try to send VCF (Vcard files) as contacts. The thing you've shown here is the format of the VCF. In fact, ALL of Exchange/Outlook's working is via emails - e.g. a meeting request is in fact a cleverly formatted email, not something fancy.