View Full Version : JOB AT MFA?

jawad
1st Jan 2012, 07:50
hi can anyone tell me how much do they pay a flight instructor at Malaysian Flying Academy....?

hows the academy etc etc....

Droste
1st Jan 2012, 08:06
They pay you like peanut! Freaking low $! :ugh:

msian1147
1st Jan 2012, 13:30
if i were u, I'd go for HM Aerospace in Langkawi Island or Asia Pacific Flight Training in Kota Bharu..i did my flight training in MFA, training wise is fine, but when comes to pay for FIs, it sucks big time..

jawad
1st Jan 2012, 18:04
thanks for the info any idea how much do they pay ?
i got an email saying if i was avalible for the post for flight instructor.

can any one please give me more info in MFA and malaysia

jd

Inigo Montoya
1st Jan 2012, 20:24
This is over a year old, but they were paying somewhere around 6k RM for base pay, plus a very meager hourly rate above a certain hour threshold, if I remember correctly. HMA and APFT were paying considerably more than MFA at the time.

Around this time last year they were having issues with the number of aircraft that were available due to maintenance, but again, old news. I don't know if they ever got a new maintenance manager on board or not. I will say that it had been the most stable school in Malaysia, having been in operation the longest as well.

As for living conditions, APFT is up in Kota Bharu, which is one of the more religiously strict states, however it is closest to the Thailand border. HMA is on Langkawi and has a satellite base on the peninsula. Langkawi is a much more open place to be and has cheap beer, however you are on a smaller island. MFA is closer to KL, in Melaka, and is a larger city. It really depends on what you want.

As for the licensing process, the DCA requires 200hrs instruction given before authorizing a foreign FI (or used to). Malaysia should have already switched to a more JAA compliant certification system and away from CAA UK based, which added some additional tests.

Do not take a FI position in Malaysia hoping for an FO spot at an airline. It will never happen if you aren't Malaysian. There are students graduating every couple of months from at least 4 schools that are waiting years for FO slots.

It is relatively dated information now, so take it for what it's worth. Do some research on the others. You can also visit flylah which is a Malaysian student forum for more information. Good luck.

BlueSkyLife
2nd Jan 2012, 12:45
As a Past Employee,

Reasons not to Go:
Contract: 24 months
Terms: All in their Favor
Pay: 5000RM Basic
EXPAT Allo: 500
Tax Deducted from Basic Pay and EXPat Allowance
Tax: You pay and file yourself (sometimes paying more than taken)
Flight Allowance: 10RM/HR -50 Hrs per month, 20rm/Hr 51- 60, 30rm/hr 61- max 72 hours
Average hours / month: 45
Due to: VERY VERY POORLY MAINTAINED AIRCRAFTS
Aircrafts: 20 Single Engines, barely 10 in Service, 6 Twin Engines Barely 1 in Service.
Aircraft Instrumentation sucks!!!! They dont work but we teach Instruments.
Staff: Average 12 Foreign Pilots, 10 Locals, Admin: Chinese, Malays, Indians.
Accommodation: Allowed 2 weeks in Hostile, after which you must get your own house and car to get to work.
Work Hours: Ex: 10am - 7pm/8am-5pm/7am-4pm, 1 hours lunch, dont be late or leave 5 minutes early!
Chief Instructor: he is an Ass!!
Upgrades: months - years, depending if the CI likes you.
Pay is the lowest in Malaysia
Dont even think you converted license is good to go anywhere else or work for a local Airline.

Reasons to go:
Fly more than any other school in Malaysia
Environment is ok, big cities close by, cost of living is ok.

But that is it.

My suggestion is: Dont Go! You will regret it after the first months. Expats run from this place on a regular basis.

Good Luck!

Droste
2nd Jan 2012, 15:11
Dont even think you converted license is good to go anywhere else or work for a local Airline.

Do not take a FI position in Malaysia hoping for an FO spot at an airline. It will never happen if you aren't Malaysian.
Believe me or not, Malaysians are proud and they do not welcome foreign Flight Instructors in their country because they always believe they can do it on their own Malaysian people.

Even those foreign students who joined the schools regretted. Many naive foreign students thought that they can get a job in Malaysia local airline after they graduated.

Droste
2nd Jan 2012, 15:50
If anybody interested to be a Flight Instructor, I have some tips (e.g. "what to ask for") to share.

jawad
4th Jan 2012, 18:02
inico and blue sky thanks for the help ill think about it......