PDA

View Full Version : RAF detachment at Kwajalein, 1954

redsetter
30th Dec 2011, 20:49
The RAF had a detachment of Canberras (1323 Flt) supported by Hastings (possibly 511 Squadron) on Kwajalein during the US hydrogen bomb trials in the period February 1954 to May 1954. I'm looking to get in contact with anyone who served on the detachment (ground crew or aircrew) for a book I'm working on. If anyone knows of any such person then I'd be grateful if you could alert them to my enquiry. (I hope this request is within the rules of the forum).

thanks,

redsetter

SincoTC
3rd Jan 2012, 21:26
No response I see, I wonder if you'd be better off reposting in the Military Aircrew Forum ?

redsetter
14th Jan 2012, 09:05
SincoTC - thanks for the suggestion. I might try that. On the other hand, it took a year to get a reply to my last request here - so a lack of an immediate response doesn't necessarily signal failure.

REF
31st Jan 2012, 11:06
Also worth asking on AiX, there are some interesting photos on there but maybe not the era you are looking for. Oddly I posted some recent photos of the place from a couple of online sources last night before seeing this thread!

MARSHALL ISLANDS - Kwajalein (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?4160-MARSHALL-ISLANDS-Kwajalein)

Cheers

REF

Jimbopardons
22nd May 2012, 20:02
Hi Redsetter,
I was there as ground crew, engines.
Had a great time. Can't do much writing these days, now an old 77, and counting Maybe I can help? Have been looking for the other thirty of us, on and off since 1995

WE992
23rd May 2012, 17:44
I was there a couple of years ago on a RAF C-130J.

redsetter
6th Jun 2012, 17:31
Jimbo,

would be very interested indeed to hear you recollections. Please see your PMs for my email address. I'm in contact with two of the aircrew but would really like to hear an account from the ground crew perspective as well.

regards,

RS

redsetter
17th Jun 2012, 19:11
In case anyone is interested, the RAF's participation in the 1954 hydrogen bomb trials is described in "Sniffing and Bottling: 1323 Flight and its successors". See the following thread:
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/482514-1954-search-two-missing-raf-canberra-bombers-en-route-momote-kwajalein.html