PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay Gliding Club

j3pipercub
30th Dec 2011, 09:57
So, I am surprised that no-one else has mentioned this yet.

Have heard through the grapevine that there is a new gliding club starting up at Hervey Bay, with their inaugral flight happening just recently.

Anyone else interested in joining? :} Gives a whole new meaning to the 'gliding club caravan'...

j3

Jabawocky
30th Dec 2011, 10:49
Ohhhhh j3 you are a funny bugger :} I was wondering how to broach this topic a week or so back.

No doubt you know the bloke who told me the story, he watched it unfold, and as a gliding guru with a few Australian Records on his wall at home, he is a worthy gliding judge. :ok:

When them motor gliders play up with prop speed control problems all you can do is climb to the heavens, shut her down and enjoy the scenery. Fortunately the scenery of choice was a nice big sandy island close to the "aero club". The other place for an outlanding may not have been so convenient. And after enjoying the island scenics he lobbed back into the "aero club" 2000m all weather "black grass" airstrip. :E

I also heard it was fresh out of maintenance ..........

The pilot concerned should now have life membership with the GFA :)

Where is Wally...........Where's Wally.......:E

metalman2
30th Dec 2011, 11:44
mmmmm, a gliding guru ,,,in little ole YHBA,,,,with things on his wall,,,,I don't believe it, the only bloke I know who "might" fit that description makes so much noise when teaches folks how not to bend their RV's couldn't be a glider pilot,,,,he'd ruin the serenity with the constant attacks on ones "intelligence and parentage"

("dumb bastard why did you do that for three circuits in a row" if I remember while trying not to completely destroy a 6 with the little wheel on the back)

morno
30th Dec 2011, 12:23
Ahhhh, so THAT'S why I saw a 'Van parked out the front of a hangar with cowls off it and ginger beers all around it the other day.

Tankengine
30th Dec 2011, 20:24
Defining said guru as one is like GT "expert" aviation journalist.
Gliding experience last 15 years?

There are all types in this game.:rolleyes:

j3pipercub
31st Dec 2011, 03:01
metalman,

Thanks for your input, missing the main point though. However, if it is the person I think it is, you must have been doing a fair bit wrong to get that reaction...

j3

The Green Goblin
31st Dec 2011, 06:43
Sounds like another notch on the belt for the Canadian oil pump :cool:

And you wonder why I had a love affair with my trusty garretts!

Jabawocky
31st Dec 2011, 22:23
Agreed J3,

I am just an average pilot, and I have never had that response......you would have to earn it:\

Is anyone else concerned at the ack of Wally's presence here?.....he must be working hard. :ooh:

Happy new year y'all.

Jack Ranga
1st Jan 2012, 22:17
and I have never had that response......you would have to earn it

If he called anybody a dumb bastard, they were probably a triple dumb bastard.

And why did you do that three circuits in a row? Definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

And if anybody (except Mr Vans) knows more about RV's in this country then I'll stand rooting!

metalman2
1st Jan 2012, 23:25
People, I have put a lot of effort over a few years in discovering how many ways one can completely stuff up landing an aircraft, I have used many different types, with various different gear configurations , my research is nearly complete and hope to have it done while there is still a couple of aircraft in this country that the owners might still rent to me!!!
And dumb bastard isn't such a bad name, driving through Melbourne with QLD plates on the car , I'm sure I've been called worse!!!

Jack Ranga
2nd Jan 2012, 02:05
Mate, driving through Melbourne with QLD plates would indicate you know how to drive a car and that you are aware of common courtesy. I'm sure that you indicate for a start? I'm sure that you let merging traffic in in front of you rather than speed up and cut the offender off? (A suitable exchange for allowing someone in is first born).

Having said that, if you can survive Melbourne drivers you should be able to land anything.

metalman2
2nd Jan 2012, 02:16
Having said that, if you can survive Melbourne drivers you should be able to land anything.

I find that waving to the locals with my middle finger does get them excited,,,,must be a thrill for them to see a Queenslander up close!!

runway16
2nd Jan 2012, 23:49
Reported as ;

Cessna 208 Caravan
Lady Elliot Is. to HB
13 nm to run
Runaway RPM. Climbed. Engine shutdown
Aircraft glided to HB and was turned off the runway into a parking area.
Pilot joined the Australian Chapter of the PT6 Gliding Club.
Engine changed
Aircraft now back in the air.

Seabreeze
3rd Jan 2012, 00:26
It might sound simple, but I for one don't like the sounds of silence when flying. Presumably the high numbers of landings on the short 600m strip at LTT provide excellent training.

Well done that pilot from Seair;

SB

Up-into-the-air
3rd Jan 2012, 01:24
This is worth a read:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/143643-moresby-gliding-club-other-ditties.html

frigatebird
3rd Jan 2012, 20:48
Cessna 208 Caravan
Lady Elliot Is. to HB

On one engine..? (or none..)
Quick, where's Wally now?

Super Cecil
3rd Jan 2012, 20:58
Typical prune thread, cryptic and I know more than you know stuff :bored:

Jabawocky
3rd Jan 2012, 21:10
Nahh Cecil, we is just playing funny buggers until Wally bites.....even fb is wondering about his absence:sad:

Truth is the pilot did a very good job indeed. Basic facts are above, albeit buried :suspect:

jas24zzk
3rd Jan 2012, 22:22
I find that waving to the locals with my middle finger does get them excited

Well of course it does! Because that is the incorrect method for a hook turn :=

;)