PDA

View Full Version : SSTR at BAA with Job Contract

Shuttle 3 Whiskey
29th Dec 2011, 21:37
First of all, Merry Christmas to you all.

I have been busy looking through the internet and came across this 'opportunity'. It's a Self Funded Type Rating on a 737CL with Baltic Aviation Academy with a job contract at the end of it.

The first 10 months (post TR) are spent with an airline (I guess in Europe?), acquiring 500 block hours, then you become a leased pilot by aviationCV.com.

I'd like to know other peoples thoughts of it, and in particular if anyone has gone through this program and currently working for an airline.

Best wishes for the New Year.

artlite
29th Dec 2011, 22:38
self-funded career opportunity sounds just doesn't sound right although I wonder how much it is this time

Shuttle 3 Whiskey
29th Dec 2011, 22:46
I completely agree with you.
See below prices from the email I was sent:

Price for type rating is: B737 CL – 11000* EUR. Price includes ground trainings of 16 working days and flight trainings of 36 hours on a FFS.

Trainings are held in Vilnius, Lithuania. Base training costs 5500 eur but only for JAA license holders. Line training and job opportunity is in attached document.

Accommodation here in Vilnius for all type rating training period is around 700 eur. If you choose our partners' hotel then transportation is for free from/to airport, from/to hotel, from/to training center.

*Min 4 pilots in a group

Tinstaafl
29th Dec 2011, 22:54
Just because you're on the books of some pilot leasing agency doesn't mean they'll have work for you. Sounds like a pay-to-fly scheme to me and you're subsidising their business.

angelorange
31st Dec 2011, 20:30
Avoid it. They advertise p2f elsewhere.

As a contractor you have no legal rights to employment with them.

noox89
2nd Jan 2012, 18:50
I got reply from Aviation CV - that is the contractor for BAA. You have to pay for down payment of 11k EUR and subscribe to a financing scheme. It looks something like this: in the end you will have paid 55k EUR (with interest), first year of employment salary= zero, second= around 1k EUR, ... year six (end of the bond) 3,5k. And wait for it.... Work is NOT guaranteed! After one year without job, you can cancel the contract from your side, after two years of unemployment you would get 15k EUR back. If you try to cancel the contract under any other circumstances you will have to pay fine.
I think it is not worth it. I will have to borrow money for TR, 55k is too much. What about living costs etc. I would have to have two jobs to survive:D

Shuttle 3 Whiskey
2nd Jan 2012, 19:55
noox89,

Hhanks for your reply. The emails I've received seem a little vague, and when something costs that much, I need it in black & white.

pimp4life123456789
3rd Jan 2012, 00:32
It's kind of strange. I received the same email back in December, 10k upfront and 50k get borrowed through them= 60k total. 1st year line training and you don't get payed. 2nd year you have a net salary of 2500E (after they deduct taxes and loan payments for the 50k ). When not employed, the loan gets payed for you and you will be bonding yourself for 6 years. If you decide to leave before the 6 year bond you will get fined. Each year, your salary will increase by 500 E.

noox89
6th Jan 2012, 19:41
It is too much! I do not know about the financial status of the other pilots here, but I am a student at the University of Economics in Prague, FI for almost 3 years and no money for TR. I have the option to get a loan from a bank though. That is how I will finance it. I can get 60k EUR loan, but I do not know how would I live without pay for a year? It seems like getting second job or what do they think??? The job is not 100% guaranteed, if you fail to get a job, you can cancel the contract, then they will refund 15k. I.e. you will pay "ONLY" 45k. Still big fat margin on that:sad:

matalice
14th Jan 2012, 12:35
Please guys just stay away from these 'mafia' schemes!
I know we all desperate at the moment thats why many companies like this are taking advantage of us.
hang in there! our time will come and hopefully we dont have to sign contracts with our blood :uhoh:

Roope
16th Jan 2012, 13:42
6th Jan 2012 20:41noox89 The job is not 100% guaranteed, if you fail to get a job, you can cancel the contract, then they will refund 15k. I.e. you will pay "ONLY" 45k. Still big fat margin on thathttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Yeah, this is exactly the point where they lose me. Think about it, you're paying them 60K and if they don't find you a job, they give back 15K. Seriously, why would they even bother trying to find you one?