PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(A) -> CPL(H)

GS-Alpha
29th Dec 2011, 11:32
I have an ATPL(A) and a PPL(H) and am considering getting a CPL(H). It is my understanding that the current rules allow me to do the course with 105 helicopter hours, and that I just need to do the 'helicopter principles of flight' theory exam. Firstly is my understanding correct, and secondly, does anyone know is this going to change come April?

Thanks for your time.

GS

paco
29th Dec 2011, 14:05
I don't know about the flying side, but you do only need to do POF(H), of the CPL(H) or ATPL(H) variety (they will accept both - the only reason for doing one or the other is the frequency of exams).

I don't think it will change in April.

On a side note, if you later want to upgrade to ATPL(H), once you have the experience, you can claim an exemption from the IR(H) based on your ATPL(A). It would appear that the combination of CPL(H) + IR(H) = ATPL(H) TK will still be valid.

Phil

Jet Ranger
29th Dec 2011, 16:47
I think, if we talk only about ATPL theory, that you have to do "bridge", ATPL-a to ATPL-h theory, think about 6 theory exams.
Plus flight hours...

I'm not 100% sure :-)

paco
29th Dec 2011, 19:13
No, that's not correct - it was only ever 3 exams, one being a composite, which essentially was AGK (others were POF & PERF). However, the CAA "do not have the facilities" to do the bridging, so we came up with the above workaround.

Phil

GS-Alpha
30th Dec 2011, 09:17
Thanks very much for the replies guys.

Phil, do you happen to know whether I have to do a structured course for the POF(H) exam, or can I just teach myself and sit the paper?

paco
30th Dec 2011, 13:01
Sadly, you have to do it through an FTO. PM me for details.

Phil