PDA

View Full Version : FAA-IFR renewal check in Europe?

eschnee
28th Dec 2011, 18:37
Hello

Do you know where or with who I can do an FAA IFR check in Europe?
Thank you

Intruder
28th Dec 2011, 19:31
If there is a US military base near you with a flying club, call them and ask for a referral to a flight instructor. You may have to arrange to rent an airplane elsewhere, though.

eschnee
28th Dec 2011, 20:07
Thank you for the idea

I am currently in Sevilla and there is a US military base, I gonna check
I am not IFR current fro the FAA, I am only current in my JAA license, can it be a problem?
Any name of check airman or FAA club in europe are welcome

Intruder
28th Dec 2011, 20:45
Try the Navy Base at Rota or the Air Force Base at Torrejon, near Madrid.

zondaracer
28th Dec 2011, 20:45
There is not a military Aeroclub in Spain. The US also moved out of Torrejon. The only one is in Germany. But, there is a FAA flight school in France. There are many FAA flight instructors around Europe who can give you an instrument proficiency check who also have a JAA license. Besides, you don't have to keep your FAA IR current f you for plan on flying a N-registered aircraft.

500 above
28th Dec 2011, 20:52
I believe Aerodynamics Malaga have a dual rated examiner based in Seville.

Intruder
28th Dec 2011, 20:55
I don't know if it's still active, but there certainly used to be one at Rota. Start here:

MWR Dept
Outdoor Recreation
NAVSTA Rota
PSC 819 Box 14
FPO AE 09645-2000
Comm: 011-34-956-82-2497
FAX: 011-34-956-82-1658

eschnee
28th Dec 2011, 21:15
Thank you for the answers

If anyone knows a direct contact with one of more FAA examiner anywhere in Europe I will really appreciate

To explain better my situation: I need urgently to have a IR current on my FAA ATP license in order to be able to pass the conversion exam to a canadian ATP license.

zondaracer
28th Dec 2011, 22:30
Is TC Canada requiring you to get an IPC done by an examiner and not just a CFI-I? Cuz that could limit your options.

Orbifly in France may be able to get you a contact. They do FAA training in France and Switzerland.

ORBIFLY FLIGHT SCHOOL (http://www.orbifly.com/index.php?mode=contact&lang=ENG)

Or you could try these two guys listed on the FAA website.

HOUSE, ADAM
THE OLD DAIRY QUARRY LANE
SNARESTONE DERBYSHIRE *DE127DD
UK
Phone: 0114417725071482

FAA Office: EA15
HUGHSTON, THOMAS P
39 SYDNEY DYE COURT SPORLE
KINGS LYNN NORFOLK *PE322EE
UK
Phone: 011 447710564421

FAA Office: EA15

eschnee
29th Dec 2011, 18:38
Thank you
And I have another question about the IR renewal

I am not really familiar with the FAA regulation and I didn t renew my FAA ATP since I passed it in a 737.200 in 1995!

A passed the A330 type rating in Canada but to get the Canadian Licence I need to do a conversion from an current FAA ATP (medical and IR)

the part 61.57 said : "The instrument proficiency check must be in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category"

There is no mention of the Class of aircraft
Can I passed the IR in any ME Land simulator to validate my ATP licence?

MarkerInbound
29th Dec 2011, 21:31
I am not really familiar with the FAA regulation and I didn t renew my FAA ATP since I passed it in a 737.200 in 1995!

For an ATP holder you are showing a lack of knowledge of the rules. An FAA ATP does not expire and there are no provisions to "renew" it. So let's see where you stand. To exercise the privileges of your ATP, you must

1. Hold a current FAA First Class medical. I'm guessing you do not have a current medical but if you can walk and chew gum at the same time that's not much of an issue.

2. You need to have a record of a flight review in the last 24 months from a FAA CFI.

3. To carry passengers, you need to have made and logged three T/Os and landings in the last 90 days in the same category, class and if a type rating is required, type. It does not have to be a "N" aircraft. Again I'm guessing you hold a FAA ATP MEL with a B737 type rating. Any three T/Os and landings, PA-30 through B747 and you're current. To fly the the 737 they would have to be in the 737.

4. To fly IFR you need to have flown and logged, in the last 6 months, 6 approaches, held, and joined and tracked a course in the same category aircraft (special rules for gliders.) Even the Feds admit the last part is stupid because unless all you are doing is ASRs/PARs, every approach will require you to join and track a course. Again, it does not say this has to be done in a "N" aircraft. If you can show approaches and holds from 1995 through 2011, you're current. If not, you'll require an IPC from a CFII in the same category aircraft. Since I'm guessing you don't hold a SEL rating, it'll have to be in a multiengine plane. If you did hold a SEL rating, the IPC could be in a CE-172 and you'd be current.

If your A-330 type was in the last 6 months and you did at least 6 approaches and held during training and have a record of same, you're current in any multi aircraft and all you need is the medical and flight review.

Gomrath
29th Dec 2011, 23:43
Besides, you don't have to keep your FAA IR current f you for plan on flying a N-registered aircraft.

I really do not understand that sentence.... I think you missed something.
Also the two names that you quoted in the UK would be way too expensive for a FAA IPC. They are DPE's and will charge accordingly.
Take a look instead at a FAA CFII who can handle the IPC e.g. iflyfaa.com based at Norwich.

Intruder
30th Dec 2011, 03:41
I have another question about the IR renewal

A passed the A330 type rating in Canada but to get the Canadian Licence I need to do a conversion from an current FAA ATP (medical and IR)

the part 61.57 said : "The instrument proficiency check must be in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category"

There is no mention of the Class of aircraft
Can I passed the IR in any ME Land simulator to validate my ATP licence?
An ATP does not need to be "validated," as Markerinbound noted.

If you want to be fully CURRENT in your ATP, then find a company that will give you a Proficiency Check in an airplane in which you have a Type Rating. You can do that in a simulator.

Otherwise, find someone who will give you a Flight Review AND Instrument Proficiency Check per FAR 61.56 AND 61.57.

Look at Part 1 for the definition of Category:

Category:
(1) As used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a broad classification of aircraft.
Examples include: airplane; rotorcraft; glider; and lighter-than-air

If you want to work as an airline pilot, I recommend you become more familiar with the applicable regulations.

eschnee
31st Dec 2011, 09:07
Thank you for the answer
Sorry for the bad precision of my question but anyway you answered perfectly
Don t worry for my knowledge, I just don t want to loose time with staff that I am I not going to use
The different training center for the US FAA IR renewal was not so clear about the regulation.