PDA

View Full Version : Bresser Biolux camera

Cornish Jack
28th Dec 2011, 17:56
I'm about to return the second Bresser Biolux to Lidl, having bought what appeared to be a well 'specced' package as a Xmas pressie for me. The camera is a USB version which attaches to the 'scope to allow still and video on the PC. Both cameras failed to be recognised by any of three different computers - all operating XP. How is it possible, in this day and age, for a reputable company (Bresser and/or Meade) to market hardware which is incompatible with a mainstream OS? The price for this item might have made it a possible present for a child - what a splendid Xmas present experience that would have been:mad:

vulcanised
28th Dec 2011, 19:32
Was there any software bundled with them?

Sounds like there's something needed in the windoze folder to recognise the kit.

Cornish Jack
28th Dec 2011, 21:23
Yes, bundled software with separate camera program and drivers. Atempts to install the drivers produced the message "No camera connected" (or some such!) - the camera was, of course, plugged in. Tried two different USB ports and 3 different computers -similar results on all of them. Given that XP is one of the very few Microbodge products that was occasionally stable, one would have supposed that producing a useable camera would be relatively simple ... in fact, I know it is - I have two very basic 'cheapo' versions which 'plug and play' with no problems at all.

vulcanised
28th Dec 2011, 21:35
Most odd.

Not encountered any software that needed hardware connected before it would install drivers. That seems to be the problem, to me (chicken & egg). What is the name of the software?

green granite
29th Dec 2011, 07:43
Have you tried manually adding the device using the options in the control panel? One of the problems with using an obsolescent operating system is that sometimes modern hardware is not recognized.

Cornish Jack
29th Dec 2011, 17:20
Thank you GG - for a moment there I thought you had it cracked - Using Install New Hardware actually recognised that there was a camera added to the USB hub, however, going through the rest of the install sequence required a download of Microsoft Net or similar and that eventually came up with an error message and shut itself down:ugh: So, back to Lidls and a refund tomorrow:mad: