PDA

View Full Version : CE525 /560 XL

dareen
28th Dec 2011, 00:03
Hello All,

Purely a speculative question. Coming from a piston charter background, if one was to invest in a type convesion to pick up some freelance or other work, in your learned opinion ( in the present climate/ future ) between the CJ series or the XL560 what type might have the edge ?

Many thanks.

Sepp
28th Dec 2011, 00:08
CJ.. but only because I fly the XL :E Seriously, XL every time. ATPL-worthy (see other threads), damned good beast.

lk978
28th Dec 2011, 03:07
Just don't try and land the XL on a dirt runway...

formulaben
28th Dec 2011, 05:29
The XL(S) is a great airplane but I would argue a CJ type (all things equal) would be far more versatile than the 560XL type. Far more opportunities, in my humble opinion, but in your area it may be different.

mATT84DC
28th Dec 2011, 14:57
hallo daren, I don t want to hijack your thread because but I feel in a similar situation and I am interested too.
I presently fly a turboprop with a contractor in Africa for 7 months a year, and I was wondering if there is any chance to start building up some jet time as freelancer during the remaining time..or possibly find the first permanent employemet in this sector..
you guys are all operating in AG, do you think this is a workable idea? and as dareen asked , what type might be the best investment?
any advice is appreciated
happy 2012 :ok:

His dudeness
28th Dec 2011, 15:07
The issue with both types is, that there are PLENTY of pilots rated in said a/c around. Why exactly should the operators opt for you?

Matteo, we will be in FZAA in late January for 6-7 hours. Are you around? Did the trip to Bratislava work out for you?

Flying_hog
28th Dec 2011, 18:42
Without any doubt XL 560 :ok:
Main reasons (my opinion) :cool::
1.) APU
2.) Stand-up cabin
3.) Unfreezing of ATPL possible

dareen
29th Dec 2011, 19:42
Flying Hog without doubt all your reasons are all valid regarding the superiority of the a/c type. Both have straight wings which make landing characteristics very good also for a first jet type.

My main criteria at this stage would be to choose the a/c type which would most likely afford some ours on type and thus where the most opportunities would lie.

More views would be great however thanks to all for the input to date:ok:

Fullagas
30th Dec 2011, 05:26
500-series first, then 560 specific, then CJ IMO. 500 because it's most numerous. If you get in the CJ, may find it difficult moving into heavier metal. Talk to a local insurer before getting a single-pilot jet type. They probably require 100+ jet hours before going SP.

dareen
30th Dec 2011, 09:56
Hi Fullagas thanks for your opinion. I am over in Europe where CJ's are mainly flown 2 crew and was talking with an operator who says the 500 series has a limited life span, say 2/3 years....where as the 560xl/s is here to stay, would you agree??:ok:

Spunky Monkey
30th Dec 2011, 18:38
I can't see how that many 525s in Europe were going to disappear in the next 2-3 years.
Not with the CJ4 starting out as well.

Unless I miss-understand your point.

Abbeville
30th Dec 2011, 21:20
As, and when, the dollar drops then a lot of pre-owned CJs will head east across the oggin I reckon. Quite a few of the older 500s will head for the knacker's yard as well.

dareen
30th Dec 2011, 22:39
To sum up then and a slightly different order to Fullagas's order,( sorry Fullugas I might be getting it wrong but possibly due to geography being Europe based) to pick up some freelance work it might worth going down the 500 series (although shelf limited), followed by the ce 525 series then possibly the 560 xl/s in order of priority.

bw

Dareen:ok::ok:

Pace
31st Dec 2011, 09:41
CJBoy

I am life limited too ;) Some of the old girls are over 30 years old and starting to creaK and playup but they are cheap now and its surprising what a bit of tarting up can do!

Just to add!!! On the FAA system its not a bad idea to have both 500 series and CJ series as you alternate recurrents one renewing the other.

If you want character flying some of the older 500 series certainly bring that:{ Cannot say I was a lover of the 500! the 550 is a low 30s aircraft unless light and struggles keeping the interior warm in winter at night! ( anyone any ideas on a portable heating system to boost it which is safe :E The 5 and Ultra and Bravo are great as is the S2 which with its extra hours range, better climb and speed and delicious 5 wing makes it also the slowest flying Citation of the 500 series.

Pace