PDA

View Full Version : Philips VOIP 855 cordless phone

Syntax
27th Dec 2011, 10:39
Got one of these for christmas. As they say in Prestwick: Pure dead brilliant. However, It logs into my skype account just fine and it can make skype calls and skype out calls however I can't get it to talk to my contacts list. I can't see my skype contacts or manually add any either. I have tried this at two different locations so it doesn't appear to be an issue with a router.

Any thoughts?

BEagle
30th Dec 2011, 07:54
I had a Philips VOIP 8551B and found it something of a triumph of style over substance. Yes, it looked nice and the colour display is good - but that was about it. The buttons were imprecise, the battery barely lasts a normal working day out of the charger and some of the ring tones don't stop if you answer on an extension phone (Philips confirmed this....).

Try updating the software (Settings / Advanced / Software Update / Check for Update), then log back in to your Skype account and wait?

I've tried all 3 of the available DECT/Skype 'computerless' phones:

RTX DUALphone 3088 - best landline performance, but the keypad buttons quickly lost their lettering, making it difficult to use. Rather a cheap and nasty feel to the handset.

Philips VOIP8551B - excellent Skype performance but poor landline performance due to a background buzz induced into my router by the USB connection. Handset looked nice, but keypad buttons were imprecise and battery life was poor.

GE1591 - monochrome display is very dated, but battery life is reasonable as a result. Handset functionality is more or less the same as the Philips handset, but keypad buttons have a far more positive action. Doesn't come with an answerphone, but probably the best of an indifferent bunch.

If only Panasonic or Siemens made a computerless DECT/Skype cordless phone!

Frelon
30th Dec 2011, 14:05
BEagle

Look no further! Siemens do a Gigaset 675IP which is the dog's b0!!0x.

The base station plugs into your telephone line and your modem/router.

You can then set up the system to make VOIP calls (I use VOIPdiscount (http://www.voipdiscount.com/) - free to landlines for three months. But you have to invest 10€ first).

It is not cheap but does everything I need. With all of those annoying marketing calls (numbers withheld) coming up on the screen, I just send them through to the answering machine......click!!

You know it makes sense!!!

Oh, and to save you doing one of those tedious searches, more info here (http://gigaset.com/hq/en/product/GIGASETS675IP.html).

If you go for one they can be a bit tricky to set up, if you need help just shout!!

Syntax
7th Jan 2012, 09:53
I still can't access my contacts list from my handset. When I press the Skype button the contacts list shows as empty. I am very happy with this handset in terms of Skype out functionality but without being able to access the contacts list it is kind of pointless.

Is there any chance the modem/router is blocking access?