PDA

View Full Version : Instructors rating

NzCaptainAndrew
26th Dec 2011, 03:43
Gdday Oceanic Pilots :ok:

Looking at working/studying in Australia....

I'd like to obtain a c-cat or a Grade 3 instructors rating. Just like to know anyone who has self-funded an instructors rating and share their experience.... where to get it, difficulty?

Thanks!

NZFlyingKiwi
26th Dec 2011, 20:02
I self-funded my C-cat, as with most things in aviation the difficulty is what you make it. It sounds like you'd be in a position to do it full-time, which I'd strongly recommend - the workload isn't completely overwhelming, but it's definitely a step up from what you will have been used to when you did your PPL/CPL so part-time study (while definitely possible) will make things a lot more difficult.

The big question you need to ask yourself is whether you actually want to instruct, or you're only doing it as a means to an end in a different job. If the second option is the case then you'd probably be better spending the money on a type rating or something that will help you get a job in charter work or similar.

Aside from that, instructing is a lot of fun and you'll be amazed (and possibly shocked!) at the amount of stuff you'll learn that you didn't know previously. It's also highly rewarding. (ok, not so much in a financial sense ;))