PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Planebook

mutt
25th Dec 2011, 08:08
Gulfstream has launched an IPAD APP called PLANEBOOK, it will allow you to carry and use your pilot manuals before and during flight (thanks to flight mode)

Its available for a free from Itunes, however, you need a subscription to access the actual manuals.

Marcus550, this would be a perfect, albeit it slightly late, Christmas present for your crew :):)

Mutt

500 above
25th Dec 2011, 19:34
Wouldn't a 550 crew have it already on a tablet Mutt? Great app though. The iPad just gets better for corporate use.

mutt
26th Dec 2011, 06:26
Probably true, but the ease of the IPAD makes things even better.

Mutt

500 above
26th Dec 2011, 07:10
Also, there is a FlightSafety app out. Maybe we should start a sticky thread on useful apps for crews?

I.R.PIRATE
28th Dec 2011, 02:23
Universal has a briefing app out now. Can't wait to get it all hooked up in the new year.

G550Bill
28th Dec 2011, 16:45
Point of order, 550 crews do not all have apps, ipads, maxipads, or planebook, as seems to be the common opinion.

These are nice to have, but they cost big money, so many flight departments pass on them.

The FCRL* has been available for years, and is available on CD. It contains all the official manuals promulgated by the big G. I happen to like the factory AOM better than the FSI one. CAEs' is a big JOKE, as they don't even have a systems manual for the G550.

The FlightSafety app is still a beta, (unless they have changed in the last few weeks). It's really nice to have FSI documents on hand as well. Untill they release the app, you have to get the FSI CD, find the PDF, and get it onto your laptop or tablet.

Bill
Flying a 450 or 550 most every day

(*That's Flight Crew Reference Library)

500 above
28th Dec 2011, 16:58
Point of order, 550 crews do not all have apps, ipads, maxipads, or planebook, as seems to be the common opinion.

It's the way of the future Bill. Even on the new G280 - not a paper QRH in sight. All on a tablet as standard. (Not sure what I make of that though)

The iPad and Jepp app is superb though. Saves a lot of paper and printing in hotels/ fbo's.

G550Bill
29th Dec 2011, 02:27
I would say it's the wave of the present! It was the wave of the future back in 2002 when we first started arguing "paper or silicon".

The problem is that big G charges big money for everything. I think the current cost for the iPad with all the documents is like $20,000 USD per year per tablet.

For the wave of the future, I wish the tablets would become more integrated, and interact with the aircraft more, e.g, automatically bring up the correct checklist when you have a CAS message. (Have you seen a G550 QRH?), and automatically do your weight and balance, fuel burn reports, off/on times, and send these to the widgets at company HQ. - It's not a big leap.

Bill
- Flying my 450 in Shanghai today.

500 above
29th Dec 2011, 08:18
The G280 and G650 will have an app for the pax to control cabin ambient lighting and temperature aswel as the IFE (akin to the chairmans seat controls) via an iPad. I wonder if we will get a coffee button on ours in the FD...

mutt
29th Dec 2011, 10:09
and automatically do your weight and balance, fuel burn reports, off/on times, and send these to the widgets at company HQ. - It's not a big leap. This part can be done for you by anyone with an understanding of Indesign or similar software, this way you can have the weight and balance done for your own aircraft and sent by email. Much cheaper than Savannah :)

Mutt

envoy
29th Dec 2011, 11:20
Big G does charge a bit - especially for those clunky hardback novel size fliptop tablet PCs that they still hawk... But I don't see the iPad as such an expensive solution compared to what was available.

You buy the hardware yourself (USD500?), get an annual PlaneView subscription (USD3900 for the first sub, drops to around USD2500 and less for subsequent). Download the application for free from the iTunes store, and off you go. Been using it for a few months now, functionality is identical to the hyperlinked PlaneView documents that were available on the tablet PC without the physical and mental anguish.

On top of that, I use one of our idle Jeppview site licences to keep an active install on the iPad as well. Nice to have, very easy to keep up to date.

No coffee button yet though... that will come with Cert Hotel, I hear.

WildRover
1st Jan 2012, 18:35
The G550 / G450 QRH is now part of the FlightSafety App (if you are a customer).

Don't forget all the Jeppesen Charts and mobile www to gain access to all the planning websites such as MyGDC (http://www.mygdc.com)