PDA

View Full Version : RAF Loss

occhips
24th Dec 2011, 14:49
Just seen this on news

Member of RAF injured in explosion in Afghanistan has died of his wounds at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, family has been informed.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

RIP

Grabbers
24th Dec 2011, 15:24
Rest In Peace.

Blue Bottle
24th Dec 2011, 15:38
Sad news, my thoughts to the family, not nice to hear at any time of the year but Christmas eve...so sad..RiP, sleep well........:(

November4
24th Dec 2011, 16:43
Thoughts with the family and with the family of the RM killed in the same explosion.

soddim
24th Dec 2011, 19:05
Greater love hast no man.................

Craven Moorhed
24th Dec 2011, 19:25
RIP Chap

God Speed.........

wokkamate
24th Dec 2011, 19:40
I am hoping and praying these are not 2 blokes I knew very well.

Although this is a terrible time for any loss (when is an ok time?) it is always so much worse when you know the lads concerned. Happens all too often in this job.

RIP fellas and sincerest condolences to the families of those lost.

Wander00
24th Dec 2011, 20:17
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

We WILL remember them

RIP

SRENNAPS
24th Dec 2011, 20:27
Such sad news and so devastating for his family and close friends. Your loss will never be forgotten.

Pezza
24th Dec 2011, 21:11
Rest In Peace.

greenhaven
25th Dec 2011, 07:59
RIP and sincere condolences - found out last night it was an old school friend, we were in the CCF RAF Section together.

There but for the grace of God.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Dec 2011, 15:38
I've also just discovered who it was. Another good guy gone.

RIP

Duncs:ok:

glad rag
25th Dec 2011, 18:10
Terribly sad to read of this, can't really add to what has already been said apart from offering condolences to those affected.

GR

NutLoose
25th Dec 2011, 21:47
Rip mate, you will not be forgotton. Condolences to his family and friends at such a tragic time.

bogtruck
25th Dec 2011, 22:02
Another great bloke gone. My thoughts with all the family and friends on this terrible day. Rest In Peace chap.

betty swallox
26th Dec 2011, 15:06
Gutted. Fond memories. Quite stuck for words. Again

Creeping Line Ahead
26th Dec 2011, 16:26
Ditto. Knew him well from his previous time at ISK - couldn't want for a smarter or well liked bloke. What a sad loss. Heartfelt thoughts to his family and loved ones.

Jerry Can
26th Dec 2011, 16:43
Yet another sad loss. RIP.

Pete R
26th Dec 2011, 17:09
Sad, sad loss. Thoughts are with his family at this dreadful time. RIP.

Scribbly
26th Dec 2011, 21:26
An amazing bloke, liked by everyone, and sorely missed by everyone.

haven't got the words to put down here at the moment.

RIP

Father Jack Hackett
27th Dec 2011, 00:59
Another good guy gone. RIP

DaveyBoy
27th Dec 2011, 15:15
Gutted. A true gentleman. RIP.

Biggus
28th Dec 2011, 14:09
He was my friend, and I can't believe we will never see him again and hear about his latest adventures.

Quite simply he was the best a human can be and a wonderful example to everyone to live each and every day fully.

There are no words ...

Mrs Biggus

sarboy w****r
29th Dec 2011, 14:04
Sqn Ldr A Downing (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/sqn-ldr-a-downing-29122011)

Ant was the most fundamentally decent and likeable human being you could possibly ever meet, and whose absolute enthusiasm for life was infectious. A truly unforgettable gentleman. I still smile at how hoarse his voice was after leading us through the Nijmegen Marches years ago...

Rest in peace, mate.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
29th Dec 2011, 14:19
From the DT.

Two officers killed on covert Afghanistan mission named - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/8982824/Two-officers-killed-on-covert-Afghanistan-mission-named.html)

I still couldn't find anything on the MOD site.

Duncs:ok:

incubus
29th Dec 2011, 14:53
It is up there now. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/SquadronLeaderAnthonyDowningDiesOfWoundsSustainedInAfghanist an.htm)
Same content on RAF site (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/sqn-ldr-a-downing-29122011)

RIP.

orca
29th Dec 2011, 15:12
Desperately sad loss. RIP.

fallmonk
29th Dec 2011, 15:38
RIP,
Thoughts are with there family's at this hard time .

fabs
29th Dec 2011, 16:54
RIP Ant although only an acquaintance really, top bloke. I don't know anyone who had met you who didn't think the same.

PS. Condolences to his family and girlfriend, and appologies on behalf of some of my face book 'friends' who felt it appropriate to name Ant publicly days ago!

Incipient Sinner
29th Dec 2011, 17:29
RIP Ant.

An amazing chap who lived life to the full and achieved things the rest of us only dream of.

Jayand
29th Dec 2011, 19:37
Sad loss as they all are, RIP.
It was announced by his parents on his face book page days ago, no apology required!

RumPunch
29th Dec 2011, 20:36
Just cannot believe this is true,he was a legend. The RAF has lost its best, if only other senior officers had the courage and conviction to get out in the field rather than sit behind a desk then we might be in a better position.

Dont let his loss be in vain , stand up and fight but I fear nobody else has courage like what he had.

RIP Boss

MATELO
29th Dec 2011, 22:01
Two of the best, never to be forgotten.

RIP

On_The_Top_Bunk
30th Dec 2011, 02:38
Very sad. Condolences to the family.
He was well respected at Lyneham and I am sure everywhere else he served.

Gp Capt L Mandrake
30th Dec 2011, 16:24
RIP Ant. Another good bloke gone, a very very sad loss indeed.

N Joe
30th Dec 2011, 17:16
Ant was one of the most amazing people I've ever met and had an unrivalled enthusiasm for everything in life. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this terrible time.

N Joe

SENTRYBOD
2nd Jan 2012, 06:22
RIP Ant. I served with him at Kinloss when he was a new JO. He would just pack a bag and go off in his shift downtime to places like Venezuela. A real adventurer and clearly into much much more than I realized. A sad loss.

Scribbly
3rd Jan 2012, 20:50
I'll be taking a minibus from Brize to the funeral if anyone wants a lift. Please PM me.

WPH
26th Mar 2012, 11:45
PPruners,

Jo Kilkenny is running the 147 mile Viking Way (in one go) in memory of Ant and is raising money for the RAF Benevolent Fund.

She writes:

"The Viking Way Ultra is a 147mile race that is starting on 7th April and runs from Humber Bridge to Oakham. It is a non stop race and has a cut off of 40 hours.
34 runners, including myself, have been selected to participate in this tough event organised by Mark Cockbain, an accomplished Ultrarunner himself.

I am doing this race in memory of Squadron Leader Anthony Downing who was the RAF serviceman who died of injuries sustained in Afghanistan over christmas. Ant was a a good friend and a talented endurance athlete. I met him when I crewed at the Enduroman Double Ironman in 2009 and was lucky enough to have him in my life. Anyone who knew him would describe him as a gent. He was a kind, generous and modest guy who lived life to the full and whose only weakness was the copious amounts of tea he drank, his only addiction.....he normally couldn't open his eyes in the morning til he had his first cuppa which always made me laugh!"

You can sponsor her at virgin money giving (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=Jokilkenny).

Check out the authenticity of the event on the RAF Benevolent Fund websit (http://www.rafbf.org/76-1545/147-miles-in-memory.html)e.

Please give generously.

Well done Jo.:D

WPH

Burnswannabe
28th Mar 2012, 01:57
A very fitting tribute. I hope more have the means to sponsor her in this challenging event. Good luck.

WPH
28th Mar 2012, 06:58
Thanks Burnswannabe.

Just to clarify, this is not a relay, Jo is running all 147 miles in a race with 34 other competitors! You can read more here (http://www.vikingwayultra.com). This is a hardcore event!

It's a particularly fitting tribute to Ant as he led the team that ran the Viking Way as a relay during IOT.

WPH

Bob Viking
28th Mar 2012, 14:42
I was on that team! We set a new record I believe. Mostly due to Ant if I recall correctly. Donation on its way.
BV:ok:

WPH
30th Mar 2012, 14:59
Me too and still got the T-shirt to prove it! Seem to remember that we smashed the previous record but probably only because Ant ran most of it for us!

Not too late to sponsor Jo!

Bob Viking
22nd Dec 2015, 19:08
For those that recently read the 'Remembering the Fallen' thread you may be aware that Ant was on my list of people I've known who have died whilst I've been in the RAF.

His was the loss I felt, and still feel, the most. He was truly the best a person can be and I wish I could be a fraction of the human he was.

I can honestly say that barely a day goes by that I don't think about him. This time of year obviously brings it to the forefront of my mind.

If his family are reading this I know I am not alone in my admiration of him and I hope they find comfort in knowing that he will never be forgotten.

RIP Alpha