View Full Version : Minimum Euro Denomination Coins - UK airlines

fa2fi
24th Dec 2011, 14:09
Hi. Just a quick question. Does anyone know if other airlines apart from easyJet have a minimum coin denomination (€0.50 in this case). Is it te same for other airlines? Bit of a sad topic I know but just had a conversation with someone who insisted other airlines don't have this. Can anyone help?

starbag
24th Dec 2011, 17:41
bmi - domestic buy on board is 50 cents, mid haul duty free is €1

dantheflyboy
24th Dec 2011, 22:48
flybe is one euro coin.

west lakes
25th Dec 2011, 14:01
Slightly on the back of this, a colleague at work was commenting on the very low tech approach that is often seen to carrying change on trolleys i.e. a plastic drinks cup.
Huge investment in aircraft, training, uniforms etc. and is this the best that can be done?

fa2fi
25th Dec 2011, 18:57
Well we have a very high tech (not!) money wallet that is branded with out airline logo. But we still use plastic glasses to separate and count money then immediately break them once done so they can't be used for drinks. Wasteful I know but they say a solution is on they way. Two years on this magical solution is yet to be seen!

starbag
25th Dec 2011, 21:04
Slightly on the back of this, a colleague at work was commenting on the very low tech approach that is often seen to carrying change on trolleys i.e. a plastic drinks cup.
Huge investment in aircraft, training, uniforms etc. and is this the best that can be done?

Glasses take up little room on a packed trolley top. They can be stacked on top of each other with each glass holding different currencies / denominations. As they're clear, you can look in from the outside and find a coin easily. Sooooo much easier than our company supplied bar wallets!

EISNN
26th Dec 2011, 23:35
maybe you're only asking about UK airlines but EI accept all UK coins right down to 1p coins but don't accept any other non Euro currency coins eg US dollar.

fa2fi
27th Dec 2011, 06:07
That's interesting about the dollars. It has just reminded me that euro seems to be the only minimum denomination coin. Althour we technically can accept around 20 currencies (giving change in £or €) we don't have any minimyum denomination for anything else. Quite strange really! You could give $US pennies/dimes/quarts but cant give less than 50 euro cents.

ottergirl
28th Dec 2011, 13:28
BA don't accept any Euro coins, only notes.

easyflyer83
3rd Jan 2012, 19:05
Easyjet aren't the only airline to do this. Remember that all the money at the end of the day doesn't go directly to Easyjet but to the catering company and quite often it is they who make the stipulations. It is all to do with what denominations can be banked and what can't. As a direct consequence, on flights operated by continental crews (i.e ORY, CDG, MAD, GVA, BSL, SXF etc etc) all coins are accepted.