PDA

View Full Version : Mumbai - money change warning

radeng
24th Dec 2011, 11:01
Now besides Mumbai airport being hopeless sh*thole (which it has been for last 20 years or more), there's another problem. Mrs Radeng changed her money back to sterling, and was given £26 - a £20 note and three £2 coins. She looked at them, felt something was wrong, and compared with one out of her purse. The ones she was offered were fake - a brassy colour all over, rather than silvery in the middle. Eventually she handed over 4 £1 coins and took a tenner in exchange. So some other poor sap will get them.

So be very careful changing money at Mumbai - and quite likely, any other Indian airport.

pzu
24th Dec 2011, 16:35
Not saying the coins offered were not fakes, but first UK£2 coins (c1994) were solid coloured a la current £1 coins

radeng
25th Dec 2011, 10:03
These were dated 2010....

JWP2010
7th Jan 2012, 21:10
You should also be aware of the airport money-changers who recently offered me 100euro for 100sterling. I decided not to avail of their generous offer and waited until I had left LHR and found a much better exchange rate in SNN.

itsbrokenagain
8th Jan 2012, 01:00
Our last trip (work for company in India) we needed USD, the Union Bank of India managed to give us 3 bad $100 bills, 2 were really fake, and one was 2 different halves taped together!

as they national slogan goes... "India the great"

Nick Riviera
8th Jan 2012, 08:45
Frankly you should never, ever exchange your money at an airport. These people are licenced highway robbers. I recently travelled from LCY and was amused to see the spread that one of these crooks was offering. Sterling/Euro was trading at 1.17 and they were happy to trade at 1.01/1.39. Stay aware from these conmen as they are hazardous to your wealth.

howflytrg
8th Jan 2012, 11:41
As sh1te as santander are. I use their free service for taking out foreign currency and laugh at the suckers exchanging in the airport. I often find thomas cook and thompson bureaus in the high street will trade off each other. Just haggle and you will always get a better rate in my experience. But do it with charm though. :cool:

parabellum
8th Jan 2012, 20:31
and laugh at the suckers exchanging in the airport.

Not sure if it still is but it used to be illegal to take Indian Rupees into India.

UniFoxOs
9th Jan 2012, 15:28
And out. We arranged to arrive at the airport with a few rupees for coffee etc. We had to change the last few before going through security. On the other side toilet attendants were hoping to get a tip - wouldn't take english coins and we had no indian ones...

UFO