PDA

View Full Version : Vale Bruce Ruxton

nomorecatering
24th Dec 2011, 02:31
While not specifically aviation related, please induge me for a moment, for we have lost a true and loyal son of Oz. In light of what is happening within corporate Australia, including aviation, I feel we should acknowledge his contribution to Oz.

Vale Bruce Ruxton, passed away Dec 2011. A soldier, President of the RSL for 23 years, proud Australian. A true Patriot. Passionate about this great country we live in down to his bootstraps, our society and the servicemen and women who defend our freedom and way of life. RIP son of Oz.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
24th Dec 2011, 03:12
The last of the 'straight talkers'...right or 'slightly wrong'.....it did'nt matter with Mr Ruxton.

He told it like it was! No 'PC' with the man. Straight from the heart!

Used to enjoy his occasional interviews on Perth Radio 6PR.

R.I.P. Mr Ruxton.

Sonny Hammond
24th Dec 2011, 05:03
Ditto Griffo.

onetrack
24th Dec 2011, 08:28
Nomorecatering, you've said it well. A man amongst men, and one we are not likely to see again soon, in this age of PC.
What I thought was most interesting was Bruces military career. He was only ever a private (I always thought he would have been a senior NCO, the way he barked and growled :) ), and he only served in the final parts of WW2.

Bruce joined up in Feb 1944, only days after his 18th birthday (the minimum legal age for joining), and no doubt he must have been itching and raring to go for a long time before that date.
He served with the battle-scarred-and-honoured 2/25th Battalion, who were already Middle East veterans, before being brought back to Australia in 1942 to head off again to PNG, to push the Japs back to Tokyo... starting with Kokoda.

They served with distinction in PNG, before returning to Australia... only to be sent out again... in one of the last, but equally-hard-fought actions of WW2... digging and ferreting the dug-in Japs, out of Balikpapan in Borneo.

I have no doubt that Bruce saw plenty of action and bravery amongst his mates in that last action, and no doubt Bruce was in the thick of it as well.
I've no doubt he also heard and re-heard the tales of individual bravery and courage of the 2/25th's Veterans previous battles, that are rarely written in history books.

The Veterans of Australia owe Bruce Ruxton a debt that can scarcely be measured.

I trust that the RSL initiates putting up a statue of the man in a well-populated public place, so that we can be reminded of his courage, tenacity and his ability to speak directly and succintly... something that many politicians need to learn. Vale Bruce.