PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot and licences

Mr Optimistic
21st Dec 2011, 16:21
I feel I should know this but don't. If I make one of the home machines dual boot (Windows XP & 64 bit Windows 7), will I have to buy a second licence for, say, the AV even though the sw is only on one machine ?? Was just going to upgrade from XP to 7 but 'er indoors is addicted to Outlook Express and frowns upon change.

Mike-Bracknell
21st Dec 2011, 16:25
In general, no, however it depends totally on the wording of the EULA.

Besides, don't pay for AV. Use MS Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall :ok:

(just getting in there early)

BOAC
21st Dec 2011, 16:36
On Pro or higher I think Mrs O could run OE in the W7 'virtual environment'?

txdmy1
21st Dec 2011, 18:19
aye, that she could

FullOppositeRudder
21st Dec 2011, 22:24
Lawyers armed with EULA's at ten paces methinks. As I recall, most programs offer you a license for ONE machine. That it has two modes of operation is (IMHO) quite immaterial to the basic concept. But then again I am not a lawyer and sadly, I plead guilty to simply ticking the agreement box without ever reading the full epistle. :sad:

Programs which require online registration and activation may cause protests from the licensing authority however. Personally I've adopted the policy suggested (above) by the honorable member for Bracknell in these matters. So far I have yet to be disappointed.

f_o_r

Mr Optimistic
21st Dec 2011, 22:34
Sounds like comforting news. Hadn't thought of the virtual machine approach. Thanks, I will do some research (has to be straightforward to avoid threats, sorry 'complaints' as I am supposed to call them). Will also save me a gazillion partitions on my nice, new, very expensive HDD.:)

green granite
22nd Dec 2011, 03:47
Thanks, I will do some research (has to be straightforward to avoid threats,

It's not very, it may be the way I've got it set up but I only use it rarely for a couple of legacy programs I cant be bothered to play with it, It takes a long time to load, it's a bit slow and you have to remember to mount the printer each time, otherwise you spend ages trying to work out why it wont print.