PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Schemes

17thhour
20th Dec 2011, 02:55
I was just wondering if you guys could tell me which schemes are regularly in place and/or likely to be on the cards for 2012?

With BA's announcement of a recruitment hold with 800 new jobs lost what are the suspected chances of the FPP drive happening again?

How about the rest of them such as easyjet, flybe etc? Is there a list somewhere I could find that summarises what schemes have come out and at what time of the year?

My reasons for asking is that I am due to graduate and I am going to be slung into a bit of a limbo in between university and applying for shot at trying to impress enough to get myself onto one of these programs :uhoh:

I had a search and never really came across an up to date list for 2012.

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
20th Dec 2011, 09:54
Airlines don't advertise in advance when they will run schemes. They never have done. Flybe have a scheme open now. Don't know if BA will. Given TCX problems, doubt they will run a scheme next year, but you never know. I have an hunch BACF might run another scheme next year. As for EZY, well it's more of a parc scheme than EZY. Thing Ryanair/Brookfield packaged in a fancier way. many airlines have run their schemes in the past to start early to mid summer. This means that after 14 months, you arrive at the airlines door step around the start of the winter season to be type rated during the quiet winter. You could therefore be fully signed off to the line in time for the summer schedule.

20th Dec 2011, 10:15
As BBB has mentioned, the exact environment in 2012 will dictate what happens with regards to sponsorship and cadet schemes.

BA - The recruitment cuts may or may not affect the FPP. We don't know, and I'm not even sure the beancounters and recruitment staff are certain either way. I would hedge it as a safe bet that there will be more positions for cadets at BA in the near future though.

Air Lingus did a cadet scheme this year. Unknown if that will continue.The likes of Sleazyjet and O'Leary Airlines are unlikely to do cadet or sponsorship schemes other than the casually disguised pay to fly schemes they currently run.

Looking internationally - The Middle and Far East are both expanding, look in these areas. Cathay for example have an international cadet scheme. America is a lost environment, no chances there. Africa requires you to turn up on the door in order to get a bush job. Australia I'm not particularly 'up on', maybe another person can contribute there?

Some points I'd like to make:
Don't stumble out of university and expect to land into a commercial airline cadet scheme. The vast probabilities dictate that this will not happen. Obviously, it might, but not likely. I would suggest emerging from university, finding a job you enjoy where you have responsibility and a decent viable future/ promotion/ pay increase ahead of you, and work at it. Use it as a base from where you can look towards the cadet schemes if your heart is set on that particular route.

Or, think differently. There are still small commercial enterprises who are offering to pay for flying qualifications if you work in ops etc for a period of time. You'll get experience in the aviation industry, responsibility, and the ability to work your way up. The big shiny jets, whilst very nice, aren't the be all and end all, and the general idea amongst young wannabes that they are entitled to a jet job has led to the p2f world we now live in. The same p2f which has pretty much stopped the cadet and sponsorship schemes you're looking for!

In order to avoid becoming a typical PPRuNe grump, I just want to point out that this isn't a rant. The main points are that you really do need a plan B, which should probably be modelled as your plan A :ok:

17thhour
22nd Dec 2011, 01:34
Hi, sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the info you guys shared it all helps. I in no way expect to just walk out of uni into an airline. I got my PPL before starting and have been following the industry closely... I only ask really because I am desperate to avoid p2f for the obvious reason that it's dam expensive and secondly because like you say it has utterly killed the recruitment process and diluted the skill set in the industry.:*

BerksFlyer
23rd Dec 2011, 02:42
Or, think differently. There are still small commercial enterprises who are offering to pay for flying qualifications if you work in ops etc for a period of time. You'll get experience in the aviation industry, responsibility, and the ability to work your way up. The big shiny jets, whilst very nice, aren't the be all and end all, and the general idea amongst young wannabes that they are entitled to a jet job has led to the p2f world we now live in. The same p2f which has pretty much stopped the cadet and sponsorship schemes you're looking for!

What commercial enterprises are you referring to here out of interest?

I know Highland Airways did this, but they went bust a year or so ago. Atlantic in Coventry used to, but no longer. Who else?

Denti
23rd Dec 2011, 07:39
If you are willing to learn foreign languages there are some schemes in europe. Lufthansa increased their numbers of cadet courses in 2012 and are constantly looking for new joiners, air berlin runs their usual two courses a year, swiss still runs a cadet scheme and i'm not sure about austrian, but would think they dont run anything right now. There might be something for air france and/or klm, but i dunno about those to be honest. However klm is parking a few of their cadets at tuifly for the summer.

23rd Dec 2011, 07:41
I have been reliably informed that quite a few small cargo and taxi companies are doing it. I know for certain of one place at an Essex airport who offer Ops jobs, if you have the aspiration to become aircrew and will fly with them for a few years they sponsor your training.

It can take years, one acquaintance received their PPL after 9 months, then the ATPL exams over the following 6 whilst hour building (mostly at the expense of the company), then the CPL and IR after 18 months with the company to start flying the line 24 months after starting.

This is pretty much the same speed as an integrated course, but they worked the whole time as well as learning - driving to position crews around the country, ramp duties, cleaning planes/ toilets/ the boss' dog (Not always in that order) etc.

I will refrain from giving company names, all the ones I know are small enterprises who do not advertise they do this to avoid getting swamped with CVs. The small size means not many places, one or two people per year maximum. Suffice to say, they are out there, and the people who get the jobs are the people who look and search for them. In the days of internet we have all grown to expect all of the information in the world to come up on our screens - deviating from this and networking in person, getting along to airfields and talking to people can work wonders!

Hope this helps.

the goon
23rd Dec 2011, 17:05
Atlantic/West Atlantic still operate a cadet scheme.....:hmm:

17thhour
27th Dec 2011, 03:14
I can't seem to find this Atlantic scheme?

On a side note to Air Atlantique still do a scheme?

the goon
28th Dec 2011, 18:49
Took 3 seconds on google to find this:

West Atlantic Cadet Scheme » Propilot - CAA approved UK Training Provider (http://www.propilot.eu/your-career/west-atlantic-cadet-scheme)

warnerm
23rd Jan 2012, 19:56
Hi,

I am looking for experienced heads to provide me with some advice and to almost act as a mentor if at all possible (although i expect that most have better things to do or more important things on their plates!!).
The story goes like this:

I have always had a keen interest on becomming a pilot since and early age, however this idea was lost for many years until recently when my desire to become a pilot was re-ignited. Although the idea had become distant my interest in the industry never left, it's almost impossible with a father and brother who are both aircraft mechanics. I had been thinking about the possibility early last year when i was offered a simulation experience day of which i gratefully accepted. The instructor seemed to be impressed asking whether i had thought about the profession before and pointed me in the direction of PPrune and CTC Wings and told me to get in contact with them immediately, however being in the middle of a university degree i declined, although the ambition still remains.

I have researched many different schemes and been keeping a keen eye on their progress since they have come to my attention as well as doing other research leading up to when i can hopefully be involved in a scheme. The major problem for me would be the funding so i would be grateful if anyone has any advice or past experiences to pass onto me i.e how you became a pilot, the difficulties that you faced and just any other tips from a professional to a very ambitious and hopefully future pilot. CHEERS!! :)