PDA

View Full Version : Database page disjoint

BOAC
19th Dec 2011, 21:05
Thanks CleeIB. Same thread still showing the same page problem. Will report here if other vagrants spotted.

green granite
20th Dec 2011, 07:29
Military Aircrew 'Caption Competition' thread shows page 620 but 619 is the last one.

BOAC
20th Dec 2011, 09:49
Agreed - and it looks VERY confused about post numbers. 12,380 has gone AWOL.

The 'original' AA thread database info has not been updated since 15/12?

BrandiNettIB
20th Dec 2011, 17:22
Thanks, guys, for the info. Keep it coming.

Also, a friendly reminder to add links to the first page of threads. This prevents anyone troubleshooting from having to hunt around the forum looking for specific threads.

Collecting referenced threads so far:

AA Crash Jamaica thread:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/399798-aa-crash-jamaica.html

(which is discussed here: http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/469954-time-stamp-fairy-5.html#post6903012)

And Military Aircrew "Caption Competition" thread:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/153632-caption-competition.html

I currently see no issues with either thread; I see all pages and all posts.

However, the Caption Competition thread is currently 620 pages long, which is extremely large and presents database stability issues. I recommend that the current thread be closed and a new mk. 2 one be opened (but linking to the first one for historical purposes).

BOAC
20th Dec 2011, 18:11
Anyone else seeing the same on the AAJamaica thread?

BOAC
23rd Dec 2011, 08:30
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/399798-aa-crash-jamaica-32.html#post6902401 seems to be correct now.

CharlieOneSix
23rd Dec 2011, 22:04
This thread is showing 89 pages available but page 84 is actually the last one:
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/111797-did-you-fly-vulcan-merged.html

Hovering your mouse over "Last" in the page numbers on the first page of the thread shows 1769 posts as the total but the actual total is 1662 at the time of posting this.

BOAC
23rd Dec 2011, 22:37
Yes - I see the same.

CharlieOneSix
26th Dec 2011, 14:04
Re my post #7 above, I note that the same problem of empty pages exists when I access that thread through the PPRuNe mobile app on my iPhone. That would seem to eliminate any problem with the vBulletin software on the main site?

BrandiNettIB
27th Dec 2011, 16:30
I see the same also for the Vulcan thread, but only on my phone, not on a desktop (Firefox).

Are people seeing inaccurate page counts on phones or on computers?

CharlieOneSix
27th Dec 2011, 16:41
The problem with the Vulcan thread is still there - for me anyway - when using Firefox 8 (on two different Windows 7 64bit computers), IE9 (only have that on one Windows 7 64bit), and an iPhone 4 (both on Safari and the mobile app). Also on a laptop running Windows XP with both Firefox 3.6 and IE8.

Mr Optimistic
27th Dec 2011, 17:24
yep exactly as post #7, Windows XP FF 8

BrandiNettIB
28th Dec 2011, 17:38
OK, I can view this issue in the Vulcan thread if I am not logged in or am logged in with my non-admin test account. If I am logged in with my admin account, the page count is fine. I observe this behavior in IE9, FF7, and Chrome.

(The AA Crash Jamaica thread looks fine on all counts at the moment.)

I'll check back in a few hours to see if the issue persists (perhaps the database will refresh or something). If it does, I'll put a ticket in to the tech team to look at it.

In the meantime, please report any other threads that exhibit this behavior. Thanks!

BrandiNettIB
5th Jan 2012, 18:20
The inaccurate page counts issue has been resolved for the AA Crash Jamaica and Vulcan threads.

The cause was related to caching and thread/forum counters. The tech team updated the counters, so for these threads, page counts should display accurately in all environments.

Please report this issue for any affected threads in the future, and we'll update the counters as necessary. Thanks!

CharlieOneSix
18th Jan 2012, 12:23
This thread http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/374714-raf-sharjah-6.html in Aviation History and Nostalgia now needs the post counters updating. Apparently there are 7 pages but in fact only 6. Apparent number of posts is 125 but in fact there are 119.

BrandiNettIB
19th Jan 2012, 17:11
Thanks for the report, Charlie. I'll have the tech team take a look.

COCL2
19th Jan 2012, 20:50
Clee
On a similar basis, the user post counts seems to have frozen - the appear to go up once per login
Suspect another caching problem?

BrandiNettIB
20th Jan 2012, 16:55
COCL2 - Can you explain in more detail what you mean, and provide numbers and examples if possible? Thanks!

COCL2
20th Jan 2012, 19:10
Clee
the "post count" underneath a users name wasn't increasing incrementally each time a post was made. It seemed to only go up each time a user logged in
However it looks like it may be resolved. On posting this, I'm showing 89 posts, this should make it 90. If on reading it, you see 90 or higher then it should now be OK. If only 89, its still wrong

COCL2
20th Jan 2012, 19:11
It went up, must be working again

BrandiNettIB
23rd Jan 2012, 17:08
I see 90+ posts for you. Bear in mind that counters on this site do not necessarily work immediately. To conserve database resources, some processes only refresh periodically (e.g., hourly). I'm not sure if post-per-user counts do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were, as they don't demand up-to-the-second updating.

BOAC
23rd Jan 2012, 21:35
Afternoon, Clee
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/474953-british-pilot-appeals-terror-links-sacking-being-security-risk-3.html - presumably mods hacking and slashing again.Page 4 showing but not 'visible' and posts 61-69 'missing'.

Last post by studi at 2222Z 'invisible'.

CharlieOneSix
23rd Jan 2012, 21:51
Afternoon, Clee
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/474953-british-pilot-appeals-terror-links-sacking-being-security-risk-3.html - presumably mods hacking and slashing again.Page 4 showing but not 'visible' and posts 61-69 'missing'.

Last post by studi at 2222Z 'invisible'.

All looks okay to me - 69 posts and studi's post is visible

BOAC
24th Jan 2012, 07:21
I think the thread is in the 'Admin' box now.

CharlieOneSix
25th Jan 2012, 12:50
The Vulcan thread has slipped again - actual number of pages 84, indicated number available 88. Actual posts 1675, phantom total 1782.
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/111797-did-you-fly-vulcan-merged-84.html

BrandiNettIB
25th Jan 2012, 17:27
BOAC - Yes, that thread has been temporarily binned by mods given uncertain legal status resulting from some court/tribunal ruling.

CharlieOneSix - Thanks for reporting. I'll have the tech team look at the Vulcan thread again.

BrandiNettIB
8th Feb 2012, 17:35
Just an update - We've re-aligned the Vulcan thread post counter and added a script to the site that updates thread counters every week. So if a thread post count becomes inaccurate, it should be accurate again by early in the following week.

Ray Darr
13th Feb 2012, 09:54
UPDATE: Now this happens regardless of the browser, with the same conditions I'd written earlier about. Methinks the database starts getting muddled up with larger threads...

Anyone from The Tower want to share some insight to prevent / fix this??

(I've put "quotes" around what I originally wrote, since PPRuNe does not have a "strikethrough" option I could find to use... so ignore the quoted text below. I left it in so readers could see the original intent.)

- - - - - - -

...Lately I cannot access the last page of longer PPRuNe threads - but only with Firefox (regardless of the version). with ANY browser! I can get to the page before the last page, but strangely cannot read the end of the thread. Regardless if I use the "Last Page" link, or try to use the ">" link, etc...

I.E. :yuk: oddly works fine, as does IE for Windows Mobile.

It does not matter if I am logged in or not, cleared cookies or not, disabled add-ons or not...etc.

Anyone have any "I know it!!" solutions, please?

green granite
13th Feb 2012, 10:59
Sorry to cast doubts on your theory but currently TTRAB has an empty extra page showing but it's also empty in SWare Iron and IE.

Ray Darr
13th Feb 2012, 11:09
Thanks for the responses. Oddly, when I try my "theory" on different computers I get the exact same results.

I'll keep scratching my noggin on this one but it doeth seemeth that this is a Firefox LONG THREAD / PPRuNe (NOT just a Firefox issue) bout of indigestion.

Any others having the same issue as me?

green granite
13th Feb 2012, 11:48
Which version of FireFox are you using? I'm using V11b & V12a so the effect may be different.

Ray Darr
13th Feb 2012, 13:42
(UPDATE: As I had edited above...this seems to be a database issue, not a Firefox issue...)

I am using the latest Firefox 10.0.1 but this has been ongoing to at least FF 9 as far as I can recall.

Cheers...

BOAC
14th Feb 2012, 07:24
Read post #4?

Ray Darr
14th Feb 2012, 08:21
Agreed! Some of these threads may be a tad long stability-wise. The servers must hum when certain threads are selected, no doubt!!

BrandiNettIB
14th Feb 2012, 17:24
Thanks for the report, Ray and subsequent commenters. I'm pretty sure the issue is not with Firefox. If what you observe is occurring in longer threads, most likely the issue is with the threads being long, for aforementioned reasons.

We have enabled a weekly update that brings thread counters back into sync with reality. However, because it is only weekly, long threads may see a few days of strange page counts.

Again, the easiest way to deal with long thread misbehaviors is simply to start a mk. 2 version with links between the old and new threads. Thanks!

BOAC
3rd May 2012, 17:56
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/484361-37-5-degree-angle-bank-one-engine-out-gear-down-500-feet-2.html playing up now on 'Page 3'.

Clee - is it worth making this thread a sticky? I had a hard time finding it.

EDIT: Just been sorted.

BrandiNettIB
4th May 2012, 18:02
Thanks for the update, BOAC. The mods are generally reluctant to sticky threads on account of clutter, but you can always ask one of the regulars.

BOAC
5th May 2012, 07:04
Depends whether you/they want a rash of new threads each time or few reports from difficulty finding this thread. As you say, up to them..

BOAC
17th Jan 2013, 20:52
We have another:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/505369-helicopter-crash-central-london-11.html

Posts 'appearing' on p12 (my page count) but no page 12.

Last one I see is 220/18:39

Mike-Bracknell
18th Jan 2013, 06:38
I've just posted a reply in the tethering thread on this forum and it slotted in front of 2 other previous posts. I think there's a time-related issue going on here.

Mike-Bracknell
18th Jan 2013, 06:40
I've just posted a reply in the tethering thread on this forum and it slotted in front of 2 other previous posts. I think there's a time-related issue going on here.

Incidentally, that was posted at 16:13pm not 07:38am as the page reports. Very similar time issue occurred on the tethering thread too. Definitely a time clock awry somewhere.

Mike-Bracknell
18th Jan 2013, 06:42
This is just a post for CleeIB and the rest of the people monitoring the other database disjoint thread to note that it's a time related issue (read my other posts in that thread for info), and so i'm posting this here so it doesn't get lost with all the shuffling associated with that.

Incidentally, the time (sponsored by Mike-Bracknell) is currently 16:17pm on the 18th of Jan 2013 (which is unlikely to be the same as the timestamp if this issue remains!)

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 07:18
I can now access page 1-11 and 13, !2 is 'absent' unless I use the 'Reply' function to look at it.

Saab Dastard
18th Jan 2013, 07:44
BOAC,

I can see all 3 of those pages no problem, both as a mod and non-mod.

SD

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 08:40
Saab - if you look back at this thread this is a 'common occurrence' - some can, some cannot. I suspect it is the 'long thread'/mods slashing/weekly database align again. I've done all the usual , cookies cleared, log in anon, no change. I still jump from Mixture at 1839-17/1 to pattern is full 0603-18/1.

Now seeing the same on R&N IranAir thread. Main page shows 'Hetfield 1002' but clicking on the last post link only shows opening posts - and Hetfield is not there. Both IE and FF, anon and logged in. This is exactly what happened last time round and I think it took a DB rebuild to sort it..

green granite
18th Jan 2013, 09:46
I can't see the Hetfield post either on the IranAir thread, but if I click reply and scroll down it's there. (FireFox 18)

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 10:18
Yes - that is exactly what we had last time round (I think it was the Vulcan thread), and I recall CleeIB could not reproduce it either.

If anyone from IB is listening............... after clicking on http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/402504-iran-air-off-runway-arlanda.html (where I cannot access the latest posts) still shows the thread as 'unvisited'

vulcanised
18th Jan 2013, 11:34
I have been finding lots of such instances on the site on a daily basis.

Still occasionally annoyed by it, but also rather getting used to it.

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 12:04
Logjam has cleared here.

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 17:35
Time is 'normal' for me. What is your CP setting?

BOAC
18th Jan 2013, 19:53
Thread 'bold' font still not clearing after thread opened.

Saab Dastard
18th Jan 2013, 20:57
Brought this thread to IB's attention.

SD

BrandiNettIB
21st Jan 2013, 19:13
Thanks, all, for the reports. We have our network operations team working on syncing the servers. I'll update here as I hear more.

FullOppositeRudder
21st Jan 2013, 23:26
http://http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/238969-home-photos-dunnunda-511.html

There are varying and random problems with the last few pages of this thread. It presently lists pages up to 516. However the current last page is 514. When on that page, clicking 513 delivers me to page 511. etc ....

Using FF 18.01 here but has been evident with all earlier versions.

Respectfully, and with sincere appreciation for the behind the curtain work .....
FOR

BrandiNettIB
22nd Jan 2013, 19:00
FullOppositeRudder, that's actually a separate issue. We have a script in place that runs twice a week to update the post counts. Sometimes it takes a few rounds to work its magic, but it usually does. If that issue is still occurring in a week, please drop me a line.

As that thread is gigantic (500+ pages), it is more prone to malfunction due to strain on the database. I'll recommend to the mods that they start a Mk II version of the thread (connecting back to the old one).

FullOppositeRudder
22nd Jan 2013, 20:26
Apologies :O My understanding about these things is very limited indeed - even more than I realised. Thank you for your patience.