PDA

View Full Version : Boring topic - but I need a straight answer about Lufthansa Baggage!

Flock1
19th Dec 2011, 14:20
I am booked to fly Lufthansa economy from Doha - Manchester (via Frankfurt) and am unclear about the baggage we're allowed to take.

My take is 20kg hold luggage each. Fine. 23kg would've been better but we can live with that.

Hold on though, what about if my wife wants to take a second suitcase along, to contain all her shoes and stuff? From what I can gather, this might be possible, and may cost 50 euro, or maybe 150 Euro. Or maybe it won't be possible at all.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this dilemma?

frontcheck
19th Dec 2011, 15:20
LH use piece concept, therefore your allowance is
1 @ 23Kg per person
second bag charged at EUR50 up to 23kg
if over sized or weight the charge is EUR 100 or 200

SLF3
19th Dec 2011, 17:28
Per sector or whole journey - and presumably each way?

Flock1
19th Dec 2011, 17:40
We actually only want to take the bag one way but 2 sectors. So is this 100 Euro? the second sector is booked through Lufthansa but operated by BMI.

Can we simply turn up at Doha airport with the second bag and get it accepted?

frontcheck
19th Dec 2011, 18:47
The excess charge covers the whole journey so as long as bag is tagged from DOH to MAN the charge is EUR50.
You can turn up with 2nd bag and pay on departure.

Hartington
19th Dec 2011, 21:58
Code share (flight operated by BMI) introduces a new level of complexity. There are plenty of stories around about the anomalies of excess baggage fees on code shares.

Flock1
20th Dec 2011, 09:33
Aarrrrggghhh!

So what is the answer? I'm thinking of just taking our single suitacase each. I've tried ringing the Lufthansa department at Doha Airport but never get through. And we set off tomorrow!

frontcheck
20th Dec 2011, 10:02
The most significant carrier rule applies, codeshare does not apply if you are through ticketed and the bag is tagged to final destination therefore LH allowance and excess charges apply.

Hartington
20th Dec 2011, 18:56
frontcheck - good luck with that. I know that is what should happen but reality is not the same thing.

Flock1
21st Dec 2011, 09:47
Aarrrggghhhh!

Bought a cheap suitcase last night and filled it to 23kg. So heading to the airport with an extra suitcase hoping to pay 50 Euro for it to be taken all the way to Manchester.

Let the fun begin.

Will report back with what happened in a few days time...

RevMan2
21st Dec 2011, 12:41
Lufthansa.com:

MSC (Most Significant Carrier) rule effective since 1 April 2011

Effective since 1 April 2011: if the geographically longest or most significant stretch of your journey is not operated by Lufthansa, but by another airline, this airline’s rules may also apply to Lufthansa flights or Lufthansa flight numbers.

If Lufthansa operates the geographically longest or most significant stretch of the journey, then the rules and charges effective from 1 June 2011 will apply.

Please note the free baggage allowance shown on your ticket.

Flock1
21st Dec 2011, 19:57
It worked! 50 euro and all is well. Totally painless.