PDA

View Full Version : Closing an e mail account - help please!

Silver Spur
18th Dec 2011, 01:53
Hi All,

Anyone know how to close a yahoo e mail account?

Thanks

SS

mixture
18th Dec 2011, 07:58
Yeah.... forget about it.

Accounts are deactivated and purged after four months of inactivity.

Alternatively, try....

edit.yahoo.com/config/delete_user

Silver Spur
18th Dec 2011, 08:31
My e mail has been hacked, it keeps sending hideous contents to all my contact list, i deleted all my contact, but it doesnt help.

So i cant expect for Four Months idle, as my email is sendil **** every second day.

Anyone know how to. contact yahoo administrator or whatever it is called?

Thanks

mad_jock
18th Dec 2011, 09:08
I won't matter that you have deleted the account it will carry on using your identiy to send out the emails.

The yahoo admin won't be able to do anything about it either.

BOAC
18th Dec 2011, 09:09
SS - it has been said many times on here, but it is probably NOT your Email 'account' that is sending this stuff, but your email 'address' used in a forged email, and there is sadly little you can do,

jimtherev
18th Dec 2011, 09:13
Why not just get yourself another account - Yahoo again, if you must - and send out 'change of address' emails to anyone who needs to know? (Not your whole address book, 'cos it's quite possible the spam leak came from one of those in the first place.)

Then regard your new email addy as your principal one, and perhaps have a little look at the old one every so often, just incase anything important snuck in.

I was quite surprised at AOL. Stopped paying them nearly a year ago, but they haven't got round to killing my old email. Lots of unread and unwanted stuff still being sent there.... who cares?

jackieofalltrades
18th Dec 2011, 13:41
Try deleting all the contacts from the account, then ignore it for 4 months.

BOAC
18th Dec 2011, 15:25
Bearing in mind nothing in post #6 or #7 may stop spam from this current address.

jimtherev
18th Dec 2011, 19:07
Bearing in mind nothing in post #6 or #7 may stop spam from this current address.
Nope. But if you have notified anyone-who-matters asking them to ignore anything from the 'old' a/c - indeed, to dump this address in their own spam folder, then no harm, no shame.

handsfree
20th Dec 2011, 14:43
If it is the same problem as my friend had then his password had been hacked.
Simple solution was to change password to a much stronger one. Spam then ceased.

BOAC
20th Dec 2011, 15:12
Folks - the damage is done. All that will probably not help. The only reliable way I know of to ensure your PC is not infected here is to create a new 'unknown' email address such as [email protected] in your address book. If you get a bounce back to your email account from that you have problems!

Frelon
20th Dec 2011, 16:21
I have been using GMail for some time and Google have now recently introduced Google Authenticator, which works with the iPhone

Fabulous system whereby if you try to access your GMail account on another PC you will need not be able to logon without authenticating/verifying this account.

This goes for hackers too!!

2-step verification adds an extra layer of security for your Google Apps account by requiring you to enter a verification code in addition to your username and password, when signing in to your account.

So for a hacker to get into my account he also needs my iPhone!!

Too late for the OP but I see that Yahoo have their own 2 Step Verification in beta testing in USA and Canada. Not in Europe until after March of next year!