PDA

View Full Version : John Borghetti - Virgin Australia - Safe Hands

Sunfish
17th Dec 2011, 19:25
Had lunch yesterday with Two "Retired Qantas Ladies" both of whom knew John Borghetti as a kid when he started in the mail room. They also remember the family Cafe / Restaurant in Carlton.

You think my view of John Borghetti vs. Alan Joyce is unflattering? You should have heard these girls. Virgin Australia is in very safe hands. Not so Qantas.

Kemerton
17th Dec 2011, 20:12
Very safe hands indeed. Now there is a man who is enjoying himself professionally.
Air New Zealand takes a substantial stake in the company and get's asked " would you like a seat on the board ? " . No thanks we are very comfortable with the leadership. Thanks for asking.

Singapore airlines wants to join the party. This is a very substantial step especially after the cheque tearing exercise of old and their very long memories . This again is due to the man and his ' game change vision and the respect he has throughout the region. Delta Airlines and Etihad and on it goes.

During the qantas grounding all four of their Ceo's said "anything you want you got".

Everytime he walks onto aircraft when paxing , he greets each crew personally with eye to eye contact. The respect gets repaid 10 fold.

etc etc etc

Stiff Under Carriage
17th Dec 2011, 22:34
I heard three very big announcements coming next year. One in particular huge.

Anyone know more?

Fliegenmong
17th Dec 2011, 22:39
I haven't heard any S.U.C. .:confused:..... but you tell us about the 3 you have heard though......:cool:

ohallen
17th Dec 2011, 23:01
Lets hope it involves huge profits, many more aircraft, a totally engaged staff (as per staff survey), happy customers and access to capital.

We had a similar outfit once but now it is gone.

Skystar320
18th Dec 2011, 02:16
Involves aircraft that QF didn't order?

Stiff Under Carriage
18th Dec 2011, 02:47
I know nothing more than I just posted? Hence why I am asking if anyone knows more. :ugh::ugh:

No one understands what "?" means, do they?

Heard from a VA 777 FO.

kiwiandrew
18th Dec 2011, 05:32
I suppose the 'huge' announcement could relate to either Star Alliance or Skyteam. I am sure that I read somewhere a while back that DJ was expecting to make an alliance decision in late 2012. I guess by then they should have had enough time to work out which relationship is more important to them, the Tasman one with NZ or the US one with DL.

Then again, it might be absolutely nothing, crew rumours are notoriously unreliable, and I don't know that an FO is going to already have a heads up on major developments

PPRuNeUser0198
22nd Dec 2011, 09:53
Certainly won't be "huge profits". In fact - will there be a profit at all?

Ka.Boom
22nd Dec 2011, 10:19
Give the guy a break...he's only been there a minute.
It took years for his predecessor to make a mess

victor two
24th Dec 2011, 10:59
I love these threads. Everyone luuurvves Borhghetti because he is the enemy of Joyce and currently everyone seems to hate Joyce. Do your selves a favour, print out this thread and keep it in a safe place and in a year when Virgin make some minor change to their seniority system or reject a pay rise from the toilet cleaners or upset some alcoholic union idiot from the pilots association Borghetti will transform into the devil himself. So that time, take out this piece of paper with the thread on it, wet it in boiling water and slap yourselves across your ignorant faces with it.

It has been over a month I think since I even looked at this site and at that time Sunfish had stuck out his sad little bottom lip and said he was retiring from his only interest in life and was giving it away. Yet..... I see him again all through the threads, opening threads, making grand statements about "his airline" and "his" fleet of aircraft.

Dude seriously - take a tablet and lie down, get a dog, have a filthy affair with a girl from work, find a hobby away from the computer, go to the beach and skip stones or do something else occasionally. Maybe buy a boat and catch a few flathead ... but just get a life mate because you are a sad little fella and life is passing you by. Thats heartfelt advice too. You need to see someone to break this problem up in your head and put it into perspective. Just get some help OK.

Sunfish
24th Dec 2011, 20:29
And a merry Christmas to Victor 2.

I already have a busy life, but when I see deliberate, calculated, cruelty to Qantas staff as part of its business strategy, I cannot help myself from reacting like a normal human being. Of course Borghetti will have to make tough decisions, but not, I think, as deliberately callous and stupid as those of Qantas - like grounding the airline.

...and its a busy day today, then off to the yacht at the secret location for some well earned fishing, entertaining and rest.

standard unit
24th Dec 2011, 20:37
Merry Christmas Sunfish and as a long suffering Qantas employee thank you for your continued, insightful support.

ohallen
24th Dec 2011, 21:25
JB was rated as one of the standout CEOs for the year and there are reasons why that occurred and they mainly relate to the business strategy, the staff engagement and the vision.

That is what makes a good CEO and for the doubters note the absence of other attributes which have dominated the aviation media reports in Australia this year.

turbantime
24th Dec 2011, 21:58
JB was around the baggage carousel area yesterday trying to be incognito while waiting to pick up his parents, in fact it was ol' mate who recognised him. From that point on our whole crew went over to him to wish him and his family a merry christmas. We didn't talk shop as he was obviously on 'down time'. I dare say that wouldn't happen at QF. We are lucky to have him and hope he sticks around for many years yet.

porch monkey
24th Dec 2011, 22:37
Hey Victor, we all know there will be some unpopular decisions at some stage. There already have been. The reason we don't piss and moan here and in other public places is because it's much easier to wear the occasional unpopular decision when the other 99% of them are for the better. That's the difference between us and brand q at this time. Get over it.

SHRAGS
28th Dec 2011, 02:31
Ignorant comment.

What's happening at V is very different to what's happening at Q. V is investing in its people and operation. Q is letting its die a slow death.

Probably a wind up and I have bitten I guess.

porch monkey
28th Dec 2011, 06:32
Which one are you referring to shrags?

LMFAO
29th Dec 2011, 23:00
Well it's nice to be a good guy and be hailed a hero or saviour. However like the labour party results must be achieved. You can go out on a spending spree. Paint the a/c, purchase multiple types, increase cabin crew numbers on the 737 and do basically what no other airline does (smells like the carbon tax). But at the end of the day the shareholders want results. A dividend might be handy one day.

Virgin needs to come up with results instead of spin. I predict within a year or two he won't be as popular now as he will need to make decisions that will not be liked. He needs results. However you won't achieve this by being the peoples poet.

Virgin needs to make a profit. A 68 million loss doesn't cut it.

The Bunglerat
1st Jan 2012, 06:30
Virgin needs to make a profit. A 68 million loss doesn't cut it.

That may be stating the obvious, & furthermore JB has already made one or two decisions that aren't winning him any brownie points with certain factions, but overall I believe he's doing an excellent job. No-one is in any doubt that we're still some way from being out of the woods just yet, but we're certainly headed in the right direction with JB at the helm, more so than we ever would have been under the previous regime. All things in good time...

ohallen
1st Jan 2012, 08:05
The question is really do you want to go through tough times with a CEO who is credible, able to make the right decisions for the company (including tough calls) and engages with his staff OR a CEO who seems hell bent on taking a once great airline, with engaged staff to total disengagement and to a race to the bottom whilst applying different benchmarks to Exec remuneration whilst listening to the constant spin that rates barely above zero on the credibility line.

The Bullwinkle
12th Aug 2015, 07:13
The question is really do you want to go through tough times with a CEO who is credible, able to make the right decisions for the company (including tough calls) and engages with his staff OR a CEO who seems hell bent on taking a once great airline, with engaged staff to total disengagement and to a race to the bottom whilst applying different benchmarks to Exec remuneration whilst listening to the constant spin that rates barely above zero on the credibility line.

Mmmm......... Interesting how times have changed!

Snakecharma
12th Aug 2015, 07:25
Not sure which CEo is which in ohallen's post

The Bullwinkle
12th Aug 2015, 09:30
I love these threads. Everyone luuurvves Borhghetti because he is the enemy of Joyce and currently everyone seems to hate Joyce. Do your selves a favour, print out this thread and keep it in a safe place and in a year when Virgin make some minor change to their seniority system or reject a pay rise from the toilet cleaners or upset some alcoholic union idiot from the pilots association Borghetti will transform into the devil himself. So that time, take out this piece of paper with the thread on it, wet it in boiling water and slap yourselves across your ignorant faces with it.

Eerie! Very eerie!

The name is Porter
12th Aug 2015, 10:23
OK, how's it eerie?

biglanchow
12th Aug 2015, 11:40
Never been much of a fan Joyce however this is the way I see it.

He was handed an absolute turd by old scrotum face (Dixon). Just like in politics, he could not slag off the fact that Scrotum Face was pretty much the only CEO of any Airline on the planet who did not invest in the 777. Old wrinkle ball bag only got the A380 because of the old my peni$ is bigger than yours syndrome?

Would purchasing 10 777 ER 200's + 20 777 300's been a better idea instead of the A380 while slowly but surely selling off 747's at the same time been a better idea?

Probably?

But a $hit plan was already in place when Joyce turned up. Grounding the Airline due pesky Unions was pretty bad form though and will be remembered for a long time me thinks?

Section28- BE
13th Aug 2015, 11:04
Hmmm, Dixon/Joyce (and associated others, some not for the first time.....) all came ex the same place for this QF gig.

Toomey & Borghetti were already there, and there long term....., way back then/when.

Interesting, any learnings to be drawn from all that history........., and events thereafter. Nar, nothing to see there- move on you lot.........:E:suspect::E

Rgds
S28- 8

boaccomet4
13th Aug 2015, 17:01
It is said in the "Life Skills" movement that "We Are Perfect but we are in different stages of life of not knowing that.

If you look at the different stages of consciousness it is believed that by the age of seven years old we have learnt skills and habits that help us to survive.

Each of us are doing the best we can with the skills we learnt as a child. Sometimes when someone presses our buttons and needles us we unconsciously may act inappropriately to that anger trigger. It is only latter in life that we are that we may regret the inappropriate actions that may have alienated others because we thought they were attacking us.

Each of in this industry are doing the best we can despite hardships that we experienced in our formative years.

Alan from QF, John from Virgin and Dick Smith - Take Note Of This!!

When a gifted and experience staff member is forced into Compulsory Redundancy they lose their sense of purpose because they have dedicated their whole working life to serving you. They then get depressed because they think they have lost every ounce dedication and shown the door. If the depression overwhelms them then they may be so lost in grief that they take their own life.

boaccomet4
13th Aug 2015, 17:46
Dick Smith - I just want to get your attention because you are passionate about aviation. I could never see you treating employees like this. Dick is passionate about aviation safety culture and wants to help the industry flourish. We are all in this together.