PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Flt Lt Ian Abson

Tankertrashnav
17th Dec 2011, 10:41
Good to see a report in today's Times of RAF navigator Ian Abson being presented with the French Croix de Valeur Militaire for distinguished service on an exchange tour with the Armee de l'Air in Afghanistan. Well done!

I see the medal was presented by the French prime minister, M.Fillon - I guess Sarkozy was too busy that day ;)

Cant be many serving Brits with French medals these days, he'll soon be sick of explaining what the ribbon is! Anyone know of any others sporting foreign awards currently?

Melchett01
17th Dec 2011, 11:11
I know of at least one Bronze Star and I think an Aerial Achievement Medal to RAF personnel that I have worked with in recent years.

Backwards PLT
17th Dec 2011, 12:17
Congrats, Ian.

Melchett - not sure American medals really count. ;)

TurbineTooHot
17th Dec 2011, 12:59
Well done Abbo!!! Bravo.

sitigeltfel
17th Dec 2011, 13:48
Cant be many serving Brits with French medals these days, he'll soon be sick of explaining what the ribbon is!

IIRC he may require HMQs permission to put it up. Probably just a formality.

Old-Duffer
17th Dec 2011, 14:51
Before I started working with the US forces, I thought 'the monthly medal' was something confined to Golf.

PPRuNeUser0139
20th Mar 2012, 13:28
More here (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/FrenchPrimeMinisterHonoursRafNavigator.htm).
Interesting quote in the link:
"We're looking forward to next year when we will boost our exchange programme to 60 officers, which will offer demanding career posts."

Mick Strigg
20th Mar 2012, 15:24
Does that make him Flt Lt Abbo CdG RAF?

SunderlandMatt
20th Mar 2012, 15:56
Bravo.

Heard him on the net a couple of times in the Sandpit. Having a Brit on board is always a force multiplier! Strong work. :D