View Full Version : Compass Flight Attendant

Rollingthunder
17th Dec 2011, 10:16
Flight attendant jailed for six years for setting fire to aircraft's bathroom so he could 'put it out and play the hero' By Associated Press

Jailed: Eder Rojas, 23, set fire to an aircraft carrying 76 people mid-flight
A flight attendant who started a fire on an aircraft mid-flight just so he could 'play the hero' by putting it out has been jailed for more than six years.

Eder Rojas, 23, risked the lives of 72 passengers and four crew members, when he set fire to paper towels in the plane's rear bathroom while he was working on the Compass Airlines flight.

Investigators accused Rojas, of Woodbury, Minnesota, of starting the fire because he was unhappy about working the route from Minneapolis to Regina, Saskatchewan.
However, his defense attorney Richard Henderson claimed that his client had wanted to be a 'hero' and suffered from a narcissistic personality disorder during his sentencing today

(and an idiotic personality disorder)

Prosecutors said about five weeks before the Compass flight incident in May 2008, Rojas was aboard another flight that was forced to make an emergency landing in Wisconsin because of a bathroom fire.

Rojas allegedly helped put out the fire. No charges have been filed in that case.

Coincidence?

AlpineSkier
17th Dec 2011, 11:15
Coincidence ?

Well I don't think so. This thing about fires and heroism doesn't seem to be rare. I have read numerous stories about fire-fighters - usually volunteers rather than professional - who have done the same thing.

There was also a case about a nurse in the UK a couple of years ago who repeatedly caused medical emergencies so he/she could also gain recognition.

Similar kind of thing to the Munchhausen's by proxy, but where that stops and it becomes simply a case of a pathetically inadequate personality, I don't know.

lynn789
26th Dec 2011, 05:26
in the 1930's a ships radio operator was suspected of setting his ship on fire to play the hero, the fire was started well away from his radio shack

rmac
2nd Jan 2012, 11:28
We once gave a security guard a cash bonus for putting out a genuine fire. When two others started fires to try to achieve the same, we realised we had made a mistake :\