PDA

View Full Version : What if you can only have a London base

Spitfire123
17th Dec 2011, 09:52
Due to various commitments obne qualified I would only be in a position to work out of a London base. I understand this will limit career opportunities but does anyone know to what extent they will be limited? Would it be next to impossible to find a role with such a restriction?

Bealzebub
17th Dec 2011, 11:42
I am curious what "obne qualified" means?

It is very difficult to answer your question other than in a general way.

A prospective pilot that gives any indication that their flexibility doesn't extend to being based anywhere other than one location would be very unlikely to progress beyond the interview stage. In fact they would be very unlikely to get to the interview stage if that stipulation were obvious beforehand.

Airlines as a business, need employees who can be flexible. Bases can change and employees may need to be redistributed as market conditions change, or as future promotion opportunities arise.

Far better I would suggest, to base your acceptance of a potential offer on the base that is actually offered, rather than stipulating it beforehand. Even if a particular base were to be offered, the employer would be very wary of the potential problems a subsequent change would cause them as a business in your particular case.

I absolutely understand the desirability and sometimes the necessity or importance of being in a particular location, however if it was my son or daughter asking me this question my reply would be " Poor choice of career if that is a prime stipulation at onset."

It will not only restrict your potential opportunities, but I would suggest severley so, unless the stipulation is removed. Again far better for you to turn down an offer rather than preventing that offer ever being made.

Spitfire123
17th Dec 2011, 13:08
Sound advice - thank you very much - "obne" was meant to read "once" - typo....

LVL_CHG
17th Dec 2011, 20:44
Blimey! That's some commute!

Council Van
17th Dec 2011, 21:34
I know of a pilot who lives in Staffordshire who is based in Leipzig.

Me. (It is a sod of a commute) :ugh:

I know of dozens, no hundreds, of pilots who are based in Leipzig and live all over Europe

I have also worked in an unpleasant part of Africa to.:eek:

I had no choice in the matter I had been on the dole and needed a job. Tough old world aviation.

London only? Sorry you are in the wrong game.

You have to go where the work is in this career. And that might mean anywhere on the planet.

PS Not wanting to pry but I am intrigued why you need to be in London. You can never guarantee getting home in this job either. Roster change, aircraft goes tech etc:

LVL_CHG
17th Dec 2011, 22:16
The pilot in Leipzig, they weren't employed with a yellow cargo carrier by any chance were they?

How did these pilots get on with the "different country" commutes? Did it run them into the ground?

Fokkerdriver
18th Dec 2011, 08:26
Hi!

Been commuting for 10 years now between different countries.

I live in Denmark and have been based in Spain, Germany and now London. Hard work - yes....but it is a life style choice. Do I want to spend my off days in a country where I have a few colleague friends or go home to my family. Do I want to up-root my family and limit their careers and take them away from their extended family and move them around between countries at my employers whim?? No.

It goes with the job I guess.....I know only a handfull of pilots who don't commute for the sake of their families and the few who relocated went back to their home countries within a few years.

It is not the perfect job by any means if you plan on staying home and raise a family.

Craggenmore
19th Dec 2011, 07:25
Sound advice - thank you very much - "obne" was meant to read "once" - typo....

Once qualified and applying for jobs - make very sure that there are no typos whatsoever in your applications..!

deltahotel
19th Dec 2011, 07:36
If you can only have a London basing, become a teacher or tube driver. With time and seniority you can affect yr basing, but as a starter you have to go where the work is.

Good luck.

Halfwayback
19th Dec 2011, 09:15
Spitfire

Would it be next to impossible to find a role with such a restriction? Yep!

I also have a peripatetic aviation career but after several overseas bases eventually made it to a Heathrow base. You go where you are sent if you want to stay employed and only after climbing the seniority ladder will you have an increasing 'say' in where you are based.

I think you got your answer - in Spades!

I'll close the thread!

HWB