PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Threads

Al Goreng
17th Dec 2011, 01:51
All through these years of reading Pprune, I have seen posts and threads removed...some with good reasons, others dubious at best.

I am greatly surprised that a recent thread about flying contracts in China by a highly disgruntled poster has gone missing! It was about his 5 years of misery in China and it was a very long post that started the thread. I am not sure if all that he posted was correct or not, but there were some fairly humourous responses on top of really venomous rants by some truly unhappy people.

I wonder if once a thread or post is removed, the moderators will see it fit to provide the reasons. It will be a good guide as to what is kosher or non kosher on Pprune.

de facto
17th Dec 2011, 09:55
Maybe because obvious racism has no place even when blended with informative posts.
May also be that some chinese are advertising for this website...
As a non chinese/european im glad this post was deleted anyways.

OKhalsa
17th Dec 2011, 15:08
That particular thread showed up the utter racism and bigotry inherent in most of the pilots making forays into the Far East and other developing countries. Add in the biting comebacks by some young Chinese pilots who had us almost bursting our sides laughing, it became very unpalatable for some. On top of that there were some posts pointedly castigating the bigots who kept on demonising the Chinese; I suppose " the loss of face " thingy has gone 180 degrees!:=

Halfwayback
17th Dec 2011, 16:06
I dealt with thread because of racist comments by some, reaction to those comments by others and crass idiocy by others. By all means put your point across but in a cogent manner.

Similar threads will get the same treatment - capiche?

Halfwayback

parabellum
18th Dec 2011, 04:34
Well said Slasher, I'm afraid the words 'racist', 'racism' etc. are among the most abused words in the English language, trotted out all too frequently when the argument is slipping away from one of the protagonists.

the grove
18th Dec 2011, 06:55
Yes, indeed, only white folk can be guilty of racism. The rest of the world is as pure as the driven snow.

Of course, according to some, pointing out this canard must be an act of racism in and of itself. :ugh:

de facto
18th Dec 2011, 08:29
PS: i am a WHITE western european and i despise people with simplistic comments based on race especially from ' Americans' who tend to forget their own short history.
Dont go feed in other countries for years then write with such despise how their 'CULTURE' is a shock to you..
Believe me a bar in middle kansas where people yet still spit on the ground is no pretty site.
Sad guy who told me he'd vote Bush cause he can own a gun..
A CULTURE so almighty where people still kill doctors who are willing to do abortions..,where slavery and racial segregation was only shortly abolished,where so many christian fanatics live..
Your society is inherently racist.

IGh
18th Dec 2011, 16:22
From initial QUESTION (message #1, dated 16th):"... I have seen posts and threads removed ... I wonder if once a thread or post is removed, the moderators will ... provide the reasons[?]."
Then, from a reply by a 'moderator' (message #4, dated 17th):"... I dealt with thread ... comments ... reaction to those comments ... put your point across but in a cogent manner. Similar ... will get the same treatment ..."
Congratulations -- in this thread a 'moderator' openly explained the reason for censored messages. This thread shows a healthy interaction between forum participants, and this forum's moderator-censor.

In contrast, consider recent censored messages in the "News & Rumor" forum.
Regarding censored messages, I asked a similar question, after Dec'9th 2011 censoring of recent messages in a mishap- thread:
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/399798-aa-crash-jamaica-29.html

In contrast to the honest explanation offered here (above), instead the PPRnNe-censor (in that example) provided no explanation; and he then quickly removed the question-message itself. That thread includes no mention that messages were censored or removed.

Maybe PPRuNe-censoring is OK for routine rumors -- but for a free exchange of technical background, and an open review of our industry's mishap-history, such a too subtle PPRuNe-censor blocks a free exchange of information (without any disclosure "censored by the government"). In that example, the PPRuNe-censor's subtle removal of information, without any disclosure of censor-activity, discourages any future attempts at a free exchange of information. Web-evolution: forums are born, and forums die.

Halfwayback
18th Dec 2011, 19:40
OK I tried reason but there's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear! I also tried - by inference - to answer the OPs question about what is (and isn't) acceptable!

Thread closed. Too high maintenance.

HWB