PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Cadetship Application

powderfinger1
16th Dec 2011, 12:18
Hey,

I've received an invitation to attend an OAA Skills Assessment for the Jetstar Ab Initio Cadet Programme in January 2012. I've already read through forums of people going on about how it's a waste of time, ripoff etc etc. I understand those opinions but I'm going to do go for this cadetship regardless.

All I'm asking is for anyone with previous experience with the Jetstar Cadetship application process to shed some light on it. There may already be some information on previous threads that I may have missed but I haven't come across too much information. So if anybody is willing to share some personal experience it would be appreciated.

Joker89
19th Dec 2011, 06:03
From what I understand if you've got the cash you've got the job.

dlx_xlb
19th Dec 2011, 12:40
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/471706-jetstar-cadet-scheme-failing-produce-safe-pilots.html

Jetstar botched landing at Melbourne Airport | Pilot pressure caused errors (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/pilot-pressure-caused-errors-20111212-1ori8.html)

Jetstar cockpit stuff up exposed by Australian safety report | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/12/12/some-plain-talking-about-a-botched-jetstar-flight/)

Jetstar cadet scheme under scrutiny (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/jetstar-cadet-scheme-under-scrutiny-20111214-1ouyf.html)

Some light reading for you....

Do you really want to be at the controls of an A320 with no experience.. I know I don't

PlaneWhisperer
10th Jan 2012, 08:37
As theres a very large population of people on Pprune who don't like the cadetship, you won't find much encouraging advice, give it your best shot and look at the positive sides, you won't read hardly any on this site unfortunately, I've done my fair share of research and theres not much but doom and gloom

Bird-dog
11th Jan 2012, 09:19
Hey mate, a lot of people on this forum are anti-cadetship for various reasons, so expect the majority of the comments to be negative.

However you need to do whats right for yourself. I've got a mate who is just finishing the Ab-initio training and I can tell you he worked bloody hard for it - because as well as doing your flight training, CPL subjects, ATPL subjects and MECIR you also have to do a UNI Degree and attend lectures at the same time. I don't know how he found enough time in the day to get through it all in the 13 or so months he's been at it....

It's also not just a pay to get in scheme like Joker 89 says (although it is very expensive compared to regular GA training), it's pretty competitive for the interviews as well.

Good luck, but if you get in be prepared to work your balls off......

Thismightwork
12th Jan 2012, 06:29
Hey powderfinger1,

Forget about the negativity and all the anit-cadet people. Go chase your dream and don't look back, I know I am.

I am currently a J* cadet and this might be a bit late but I will be more than happy to give you and anyone else that's interested in any info I know. This is my first post so excuse anything that may seem odd. I too once looked on this site for the same info but found it disappointing when so many people bombarded the thread with totally irrelevant opinions, most of them so far from the truth and only a guess. I thought it was about time that someone joined that could give credible info.

Let me say that i'm not from a rich family at all! I am funding the required upfront fee on my own. Yes, it is an expensive route to take but look at what you come out with compared to say REX or traditional routes. At the end of the day i'm going to be flying a jet on very good money for someone who has just entered the industry. There is a hell of alot of work to do which someone mentioned about uni, flying, ground school and study and not to mention work if you have to have a job but we all do it.

Skills Assesment involves two days, the first being an interview and skills testing. Skills testing involves stick and rudder skills, basic maths, instrument reading, 200 odd questionaire regarding personality. The answers from that will be used in the interview so be honest. The interview is basically behavioural type, google it if you must.

The 2nd day is team working, again the answers you give will shine here. They want to see leadership and team player skills. I can go into more detail if you want but i'd rather you pm me cause i got a wealth of info.

Any info you want just ask whether it be about uni or the course itself. I'm happy to help anyone. Its a great course with great people like minded. I've made some really good friends for life and the training we receive is top shelf. At the end of the day you'll be on the path to a great airline career.

Some people are against the program but who cares, most of them have a sour taste in their mouth because there've been slugging it out trying to gain hours. No doubt i'd be pissed too but unfortunately this is becoming the future. Cadet programs will very soon become the norm like in other countries. It's just the beggining here so there are a few teething problems.

Go for your dream mate, it's a great thing. I'm happy that I dont have to be flying out in the bush for 5+ years to get an airline job. If I want to go fly a little aircraft for a getaway or family scenic flight, no problems, my licence lets me do just that.

Nothing but blue sky
21st Apr 2012, 07:16
Just a heads up to anyone interested, the current cadets have been told to wait indefinitely for type rating.. Some cadets are finished and ready, those from the first group, and haven't got start dates for at least the next 12 months! They are all going to need MECIR renewals etc. before they start with out any support for remedial training.

If you do this Cadetship there is absolutely no guarantee on a Job at the end, Jetstar make not one bit of commitment and offer zero financial support.. I would expect that anyone who started this cadetship recently will end up in GA anyhow, at least for some period of time.

Oxford Aviation Academy is extremely expensive, as they abuse the FEE-HELP system. Anyone starting out a flying career should do there research and gain their licences elsewhere!

Please understand that this is not a standard cadetship and dont expect a job with Jetstar at the end.. Many current cadets have dropped out and gone to find jobs elsewhere! It is on the other hand a great stream of income for Oxford... '140k x 16 = 2.26million' how much they will get from the 4th group of Cadets when the first group don't even have jobs...

Thismightwork
28th Aug 2012, 00:08
Hello Inspiring Pilots,

First of all, sorry to all the people who have sent emails waiting for a reply. I have been very busy lately and had little time to reply. After all, completing all ATPL subjects, gaining a CPL, a MECIR, King-Air C90 Endo, MCC Course AND an associates degree at uni all in 18 months can be quite full on.

Nothing but blue sky is partially correct. Yes, no job is gauranteed but there is an employer resevered place waiting for you at the end.
I know of 2 cadets that have left, 1 left because his heart wasn't in it and was struggling with the pace the other not sure. I also know that a few people have been removed from the course because they couldn't keep up.

Atm, the first cadets have started with JQ and have been there quite a while now. The 2nd bunch have received an expected time for type training and the fact is, as soon as your back from type training you have approx 40 days to start with JQ. There are constant meetings with JQ and also performance reviews.

Yes, the course is expensive and couldn't agree more with blue sky about OAA profiteering from FEE-HELP but that's the nature of the beast unfortunately. JQ pay for type training and is paid back over a few years. The wage is considerably better than the average GA wage but obviously not as much as a standard FO. Be realistic, think yourselves as an Apprentice and you'll work your way up the ladder.

Just trying to wash away the rumors as best I can, probably 99% of the information on here about the JQ program is not credible so please take it with a grain of salt. Unless you hear it from the horses mouth, don't think too much of it.

Remember, it's still early days for this cadetship, over the next few years the wrinkles will get ironed out.

Hang in there.

pilotchute
28th Aug 2012, 22:53
Anyone out there noticed that OAA in Melbourne is no longer the training provider for Qantaslink?

I find it offensive that Jetstar use Aussie tax payers money to fund training but don't use an Australian TRTO for type ratings. I know that Jetstar fund the type training but why go to the trouble of taking people to HK?

I don't know of any other country that has a govt funding arrangement for the training of cadets for privately owned airlines!

Gligg
29th Aug 2012, 01:56
Interestingly, the cadet link on Jetstar's website has been offline for awhile now.