PDA

View Full Version : Spons (again!)

flyingwelshman
5th Sep 2001, 17:40
Dear all Wannabeeeeees

Is it not commonly the time of year that airlines open their doors to the millions of us who want to apply for spons? Yet I have seen nothing in the flying/media press!?! Whats going on? I here that BMI has puts its scheme on hold but what of:

Air2000
KLMUK
BA
AerLingus
Buzz
Virgin and any others????????

Any news guys? :eek:

MikeSamuel
5th Sep 2001, 19:00
Aer Lingus is on hold at the moment...For Air 2000 and KLMUk, as well as British European it may be worth contacting them by phone, or ring Cabair, as when I have spoke to them they normally have an idea of when they are coming up.

BA is always open for applications I think, see www.britishairwaysjobs.com (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com)

Mike

scroggs
5th Sep 2001, 22:20
Virgin's part sponsorship scheme was a one-off and, now that Virgin Sun and its minibusses are going, it won't be repeated. I suspect that the other seasonal sponsors will be sitting on their hands just now while their commercial and accounts departments decide what bad news next year might bring.

skysoarer
7th Sep 2001, 05:04
I think the phrase I'm thinking of rhymes with Clucking Bell! Trust this to happen just as I leave uni ... but then again I'm stuck with the BAA for the next six months being a computer monkey (ooo aaa eeee eee eeeee!) - thats data entry and yes they do feed us bananas (a bit more than peanuts).

I do hope at least some offer places later this year.

SS

Sagey
7th Sep 2001, 18:27
Sky in exactly the same position, graduated been slowly filling out BA form whilst temping, travelling etc since final exams in June.

Waiting on all the others etc now the industry is entering into a recession. The sad thing is, I read Economics at Uni, so understand the recession bit but that doesn't help finding a way round it ;o)

Sagey

JT8
7th Sep 2001, 18:33
Same situation here - graduated in June, was keen to get started on all the sponsorships.....maybe I'll have to consider the 'decent graduate engineering job' my parents always go on about :(

good luck, me thinks we're going to need it.
JT8

Airbus A320
7th Sep 2001, 20:51
With regard to Air 2 bob, I believe they will be advertising in Flight at the end of this month with a view for the jammy bast...ahem people selected to commence training March next year.
Aer Lingus will not be even considering sponsorship until about this time next year, so I'm told anyway.
With regard to sponsorships, does anyone remember that "Flying Start" sponsorship that was advertised in Flight a couple of years ago, I wonder how much money they made out of that complete waste of time.....

bow5
7th Sep 2001, 21:54
"Would the poor sods who have a desire to be airline pilots please stand up!!"

As far as I know (or what I have been told by the airlines)....

-If you don't know about it then you've missed GAPAN already. For the future for people who don't know you need a PPL and Class 1 to apply for this.
-air 2k are advertising (sometime) this month in flight. Check their website - www.air2000.com. (http://www.air2000.com.)
-BMI told me they would be advertising a scheme 'in September'. That sounds to have changed. Here's hoping they will.
-Brittania said they 'might' be doing something early next year.

The rest, other than BA, all seem to be putting it 'on hold' for a while.

I'm going to go and try to find a pavement to trip over so I can sue someone for about 50k. If only!! :rolleyes:

Superpilot
7th Sep 2001, 22:07
does anyone remember that "Flying Start" sponsorship that was advertised in Flight a couple of years ago, I wonder how much money they made out of that complete waste of time.....

My first ever sponsorship application and what a piece of junk that was! Didn't even get a reply :rolleyes: ...in association with cabair wasn't it?

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

skysoarer
10th Sep 2001, 02:21
Ahh yes I remember that Flying Start thing ... "a division of debray" ... who the heck are they??? They never cashed my cheque though so it really did fall through and I didn't cancel it stupidly but the dosh didn't leave my account. What kind of scam is like that?

I first got a letter inviting me to an interview near Oxford I think, then a few weeks later I got another saying that the scheme was cancelled due to the "serious illness of one of the Flying Start team". Thats bull, they must have realised how much Oxford cost... :D

Good to hear that some will be running partial sponsorships this year ... hopefully ...

Oh well, another week of tapping like a madman awaits...

SS

BTW: I shall be calling BA again tomorrow.

Token Bird
10th Sep 2001, 13:39
I even called OATS to ask them if Flying Start were serious, 'cos I said it sounded like a scam. OATS were quite unpleasant about it and were insulted that I might think it was a scam. The whole thing did sound highly dodgy.

I then sent a letter to Flying Start asking them a lot of specific questions which they fobbed off and claimed they would answer at the first selection day. I don't think I ever sent them a cheque, but I too received a letter later saying the scheme had been cancelled due to someone being ill. They said they planned to restart proceedings later, but I haven't heard a peep out of them since,

TB

dopeyhead
10th Sep 2001, 18:10
Aer lingus has put it's cadetship on hold due to its financial situation and the uncertaintity over its future, heard a romour that they wont start it again until 2003,as for the others , i have no idea. :o

flyingwelshman
15th Sep 2001, 14:38
according to www.air2000.com (http://www.air2000.com) they are gogin got advertise in FLIGHT on 25th of Sep, and in oct. edition of PILOT