PDA

View Full Version : Scanned slides/negatives problem with Office Picture Manager

smuff2000
14th Dec 2011, 14:49
Having recently purchased a slide & negative scanner to digitise my old photos I find I have a problem. Images are about 3-4 Mb Tiff files.

When a scan is complete the scanner opens the file in Picture Manager, however in some cases, mainly with landscape format images, all I get is a coloured pattern which bears no resemblance to the image.

If I open it in Picture & Fax viewer it opens OK

I want to create some copies of the files at a lower resolution for use in one of those digital frames which in the past I have done with Picture Manager.

Has anyone any idea why Picture manager cannot display these files?

green granite
14th Dec 2011, 15:23
No idea, try installing IrfanView (it's free) and see if it's better

Spurlash2
14th Dec 2011, 15:28
Try saving the images as jpeg. As GG says, Irfanview will do the job.

The other thing; are they B&W phots? scanning grayscale or scanning B&W makes a difference.

smuff2000
14th Dec 2011, 16:22
All images so far are colour, will try Irfanview, have heard of it before but not tried it. Not sure if I have the option to save as jpeg.

Problem is that after each scan the machine automatically opens Picture Manager, will have to check the manual and see if I can change it.

vulcanised
14th Dec 2011, 16:48
I recently purchased a cheapo scanner which is just about good enough for my requirements. It came with bundled Arcsoft software, which is the only software I have found so far which will accept the output of the scanner. It will save as jpg, meaning I can then use Picasa or PSP to modify the image.

I'm wondering if your software also comes from Arcsoft? I also have another program from them which was bundled with something else and I'm not impressed with either.

green granite
14th Dec 2011, 18:03
smuff2000 you should be able to use the scanner direct from Irfanview using the Twain option in the file menu.

vulcanised
14th Dec 2011, 19:38
you should be able to use the scanner direct from Irfanview

Unless it's one like mine which only produces multicoloured lines with any software other than that Arcsoft stuff.

Spurlash2
14th Dec 2011, 21:49
Firstly, try right clicking the file to see if you get any other progs to view your file.

Right Click| Open with...

If you see Paint (Windows prog) try that. Then, File| Save as| .jpeg, for example.

Picture Manager is your default file viewer for .tiff files. You can change this, but need a program to change it to.

May I suggest Irfanview, (Fandabidosi prog, and Free), accept defaults, (unless you are an advanced user, in which case, do what you need to).

After install, reboot.
Go to your image file.
Right click.
Irfanview should now be an option.
Open File.
I don't have my main comp with me, but you should be able to do: File|Save as, or Image| save as... sorry can't help further, as can't quite remember the exact selection.
Save as... jpeg, or bmp or what you want.

Report back!

smuff2000
15th Dec 2011, 14:15
Have a busy weekend ahead with family Christmas stuff to deal with but if I get chance will download Irfanview and install and see how I get on.
As I am not at home with the scanner cannot try any of the tricks offered yet but rest ashored I will do and thanks for the help.

Post Christmas Update

Irfan view installed and all images open OK

Thanks for all help