PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating

Seanluxor
13th Dec 2011, 21:58
Just worried about Instrument Rating..

What are the chances of getting hired after failing an IR? Maybe getting good Average on ground school can change things?

Prophead
14th Dec 2011, 07:41
I would say, with just an fATPL your chances a pretty slim at the moment even with first time passes. If you are going to get a TR or god forbid P2F then the IR fail will not matter.

There are many people employed that failed various stages of their training. Its just a matter of waiting for the airlines to start hiring. At your age you have time on your side. I wouldn't worry about it. Get your fATPL and then find whatever employment you can that will let you keep current. Do something interesting like tailwheel, floats etc. Do some touring using your IR and just enjoy your flying whilst networking and waiting for that job.

You will be suprised how many airline managers, chief pilots etc. are around in the GA world. I never understand why people think networking involves sitting at home, sending out numerous cv's to every airline and neglect the fact that their local flying club/airfield may be crawling with exactly the type of people you need to be talking to.

Keep at it, keep current and dont worry about the fail.

Seanluxor
14th Dec 2011, 12:38
Thanks, There has been talks at school saying "once you fail an IR you have just waisted your chance of getting hired"

and there was another guy who failed an IR now he can't find an airline job, working as a part time flight instructor and part time bus driver.

Piltdown Man
15th Dec 2011, 12:30
What are the chances of getting hired after failing an IR?

Only slightly less than passing first time. I think Prophead has it nailed.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Dec 2011, 18:33
You have to realise that throughout your professional pilot training, there are so many variables, so failing one element of your training is no big deal. Some of the finest pilots I have flown with have failed an element of their training at some stage.

Few people get through their training without a glitch. Life is full of ups and downs, but be positive. Once you have your CPL/IR it is similar to getting your driving licence. You have one hell of a lot to learn. With the right attitude you will be fine, so enjoy it.

All the best mate.

Dofi27
17th Dec 2011, 14:12
Go to Poland is easier, quickly and don't waist time