PDA

View Full Version : Xanax?

330airbus
13th Dec 2011, 21:45
Just a question that popped in my head.
Can xanax be used with prescription once a while?
Very occasionally, when I have anxiety etc.

Wanted to see from experienced guys before I checked myself at the doc.

Cheers guys.

gingernut
13th Dec 2011, 22:39
Would have thought any use of benzodiazapines, however infrequent, would raise several eyebrows among AME's.

Can xanax be used with prescription once a while?

I'm not sure what this sentence means?

330airbus
13th Dec 2011, 22:49
gingernut,

Thank you for the response.
Maybe benzos are a problem somewhat, how about SSRI's?
Something mild just to help with anxiety, sometimes.
I don't need it, nor have I done much research or seen the doc about it, just looking to see if anyone can relate, before I actually do so.

gingernut
13th Dec 2011, 23:25
It's worth doing a search.

Not so long ago, SSRI's were a big no no, due to the potential for their mind warping properties (sic).

However, it would seem that pilot's take these, with good effect, without feeling the need to crash their plane into the ground or buildings.

In all honesty, if you are worried about anxiety or depression, then you should have a chat with your GP. Tell them that you are a pilot, and medication could halt your career.

Unfortunately, this will tend to medicalise and label things somewhat. I have to say, that there are many interventions, other than medication, that are effective against mild symptoms, but you will have to talk to a professional about this.

From my own experience, everyone, at some stage in their life, suffers from anxiety and depression, to some degree or other. I suspect that the medical authorities get keeener when medication becomes involved.:)

Gomrath
13th Dec 2011, 23:39
Xanax is not specifically banned by the FAA but the underlying condition requiring its use may very likely be a case for disqualification. You need to talk to your AME for the full facts.

AMEandCPL
14th Dec 2011, 00:13
Absolutely you must talk to your AME. If the worst should happen, and you are involved in an accident or incident, and an undisclosed psychoactive substance pops up on your drug screen....:eek:. No insurance, loss of licence, potential charges....It doesn't bear thinking about.

330airbus
14th Dec 2011, 09:45
Thanks for the response guys.
Just to clarify, it's not something I will use on duty.
It's something i would use when around lots of people on a day off, feeling tense and anxious, once a month or so.
I randomly get anxiety and a feeling of panic attacks when socially around lots of people (something that i've always had to deal with but not done anything about), and something that does not happen often.

I will definitely consult somebody and get back to you guys on what was said.
Thanks!

homonculus
14th Dec 2011, 15:44
I am not an AME but I would hope the answer is a strong no. This is a benzodiazepine, a class of drugs that is broken down to active metabolites, which themselves have prolonged half lives. It is possible to measure active substances days after a single dose let alone repeated doses.

The effect of this class of drugs is to remove anxiety and reduce the abiliity to assess risk and rationalise actions. It also reduces muscle tone and slows reactions. It can cause profound drowsiness.

Personally I wouldnt go near a plane if I were on any of these drugs, and we specifically avoid these drugs in our pilots even when they are not expected to fly for several weeks

Sorry

grounded27
14th Dec 2011, 17:14
Usage of alprazolam WILL increase the frequency and intensity of a panic attack and GAD over time. Whatever goes up must come down. Doctors love to sell SSRI's, they claim not addictive but they do not tell you about the 2 week (adjustment period) or the withdrawal symptoms most of these drugs have, they can really screw with you. Hate to sound like a snake oil salesman but alternative measures such as breathing, meditation, exercise etc really do help. Just feeling like you are between a rock and a hard place makes it worse. Most people do not understand that focus on a task (landing an aircraft) is the least likely time you are likely to have a problem with anxiety, that social anxiety (too much sensory input and too much time to think) is a completely different problem. I speak of this from my experience, try to avoid the drugs before you make your problems worse but my experience is not everyones. Best wishes.

grounded27
14th Dec 2011, 17:19
The effect of this class of drugs is to remove anxiety and reduce the abiliity to assess risk and rationalise actions. It also reduces muscle tone and slows reactions. It can cause profound drowsiness.

Personally I wouldnt go near a plane if I were on any of these drugs, and we specifically avoid these drugs in our pilots even when they are not expected to fly for several weeks

Sorry

Ahh, no. On a proper dosage you will have more clarity in thought, be less distracted. The only thing I agree with is drowsyness during long boring flights, but I doubt there is a single person here who has not experienced this. Long term usage can cause short term memory loss (forgot to add that to my last post) hehe.

homonculus
16th Dec 2011, 09:44
Oh dear two years of research involving loads of money and I got it all wrong.

Probably best you inform the pharmaceutical industry and departments of health

Seriously, postings such as this could well cause real harm if people follow your advice. By all means advise people to try alternative medicine or tell them these drugs are rubbish but don't suggest They are safe let alone beneficial!

grounded27
16th Dec 2011, 16:38
No need for sarcasm. I am simply speaking from personal experience and 2nd hand experiences of others I know personally. I trust a psychiatrist as far as I can throw him, when there as many drug reps in a dr's office as patients I get the hint that the dr is motivated to sell drugs more than he is curing a patient.

By all means advise people to try alternative medicine

This is a false statements, I had said "alternative measures such as breathing, meditation, exercise etc really do help". As far as the 2 years went, well I doubt your qualifications with your obvious inability to pay attention.

On another note. The effects of alprazolam on someone w/o anxiety is quite different than the effect on the person with anxiety. 2 sips of coffee and I am a wreck where most drink a cup or 2 just to feel awake and attentive. My attention span is crap w/o at least 1 milligram of alprazolam in me where you would probably be bobbing your head trying to stay awake.

gingernut
16th Dec 2011, 18:56
From NICE

Do not offer a benzodiazepine for the treatment of GAD in primary or secondary care except as a
short-term measure during crises. Follow the advice in the ‘British national formulary’ on the use of
a benzodiazepine in this context.

I would have thought a crisis warranting the use of a benzodiazepine would raise some eyebrows. Don't discount non pharamacological measures, but avoid the snake oil. Relaxtion techniques and CBT may seem a little huffy fluffy, but they do actually work. I'm not sure if there's any evidence for NLP- I tried it to try and break the adrenalin/ panic cycle that used to affect me when trying to land a Cessna during circuit training, and it seemed to work.

Some evidence for interventions here... http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13314/52601/52601.pdf

You need, at the very least, an expert assessment, but this will impact on your aviation medical. You seem to be in good company, I'm sure most pilots have experienced some anxiety disorder at sometime in their lifetime.:)