PDA

View Full Version : perforated eardrum

stratfol
13th Dec 2011, 12:18
Hi all,

Did a quick search there but didn't find a previous thread on this, apologies if it has been covered.

I have my initial Class 1 (UK) next Tuesday and just had my ears irrigated as requested by the sponsor airline in order for the ENT to get a good look at the eardrum. The GP who did this found a perforation in the eardrum that looks old, as if it's been there since childhood. I have absolutely no memory of ear injury/infection whatsoever nor do my parents...

Anyway my question is will this cause a problem with my class 1? I have been flying (as pax) for years, done a fair bit of high altitude climbing and scuba diving (lots of pressure changes) for many years with absolutely no negative effects. In fact I had absolutely no idea that my ears were anything other than perfect until this morning. So this really shouldn't be an issue...right?:confused:

stratfol
13th Dec 2011, 12:42
actually I just found some previous threads on this issue... funny how google searches are better at finding things on pprune than the pprune search function.

apologies all. specific advice on healed childhood perforations still welcome though.

gingernut
13th Dec 2011, 17:48
Don't know the answer to your specific query, but I guess from a physiological point of view, if the perforation is old, it shouldn't cause much problems. Boyles law, and all that.

'spose if the perforation is causing hearing loss, that could trip you up.

homonculus
13th Dec 2011, 20:59
And I am afraid scuba is out