PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe Seeks Cash For Seized Plane at LGW

Capetonian
13th Dec 2011, 12:02
Zimbabwe Seeks Cash For Seized Plane
December 13, 2011

Zimbabwe's state-owned airline was scrambling for cash on Tuesday to secure the release of a plane seized in London by a US firm over a USD$1.2 million debt, a senior airline official told state media.

Air Zimbabwe acting chief executive Innocent Mavhunga confirmed that his firm's Boeing 767-200 had been impounded on landing at London's Gatwick Airport on Monday after American General Supplies got a court order for money owed for aircraft spares.

"The plane has been attached by one of our spares suppliers over an outstanding debt which we are negotiating to settle," he was reported as saying.

Mavhunga said government's treasury department had told the airline it could not help with the required cash. Another official said Air Zimbabwe was still scrambling to get back the aircraft in time for a scheduled return flight to Harare on Tuesday evening.

"The management and the shareholder (government) have to work to a common cause because we stand to lose more by losing the plane and missing flights," the official said, declining to be named.

Economic analysts say Air Zimbabwe is struggling to survive due to mounting debts, currently put at USD$40 million, and many see it as a victim of mismanagement by President Robert Mugabe's ZANU-PF party and poor funding by government since independence from Britain in 1980.

(Reuters)

The only surprise is that it has taken this long to happen.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Helios340/airzim1-1.jpg
Disclaimer : I know this is not a 767! It was the first piccy of a UM aircraft I found.

paully
13th Dec 2011, 12:27
Lol.....funny picture but sadly true..Just shows what happens when you hand the asylum over to the control of the inmates :ugh:

merlinxx
13th Dec 2011, 12:52
Strange looking 76 there sport:ugh:

Capetonian
13th Dec 2011, 13:02
merlinxx: Fair comment, disclaimer added!