PDA

View Full Version : FAA procedure for loss of comms in clear air turbulence over pacific(ie hawaii to jap

captainng
11th Dec 2011, 21:38
Hi guys
A question for any Faa licenced guys.

What is the procedure for loss of comms if you have clear air Turbulence over the north pacific ocean(ie hawaii to Japan).

is it climb/descend 1000ft and turn off track by a certain distance?

Thanks for the answers and any reference if you have it

NG

zerozero
12th Dec 2011, 12:50
I don't understand your question(s).

What does CAT have to do with lost comms?

Furthermore, how is your aircraft equipped? VHF? HF? ACARS? SATCOM? And which one failed.

Basically, in American airspace, the authorities would expect you to fly your clearance. Once you're in radar contact, squawking 7600 will advise ATC of your lost comm.

Perhaps if you refine your question(s) a little you'll get a better, more specific answer.

stuckgear
12th Dec 2011, 13:10
i'm guesstimating that the OP is questioning the procedure if necessity to significantly change FL while lost comms ??

zerozero
12th Dec 2011, 13:48
i'm guesstimating that the OP is questioning the procedure if necessity to significantly change FL while lost comms ??

I think adhering to the issued clearance is more important than providing a smooth ride.

The OP specifically stated CAT, not CBs.

I would maneuver as necessary for CBs but immediately return to the cleared route.

If fuel endurance became an issue, obviating a climb, then I would invoke the PICs emergency authority (he may deviate from any regulation or clearance ONLY to the extent necessary to deal with the emergency).

Just my honest opinion (and that's all it is: opinion).

misd-agin
12th Dec 2011, 15:01
Climbing/descending by 1000' (!!!) ?? No. Absolutely not. :eek:

Diverting? Following the diversion procedure. CAT but staying on course? Grin and bear it.

If you declare an emergency leveling off at a different standard cruise altitude :eek::eek: is completely against the intent of off track procedures. :ugh: