PDA

View Full Version : High fan speed

Loki
11th Dec 2011, 10:53
Had a bit of a search and couldn't find anything closely related to my issue

After 5 years of normal runnng, my PC has suddenly been running the cooling fan at high speed from startup, with occasional spooling up/down for no apparent reason. Everything else seems to function normally/well

Took the side off the machine and had a gentle hoover round inside.....although there wasn't anything obviously clogged up with dust.....is there a thermostat somewhere governing fan speed? and where would I find it? Can it be replaced if needed?

Capetonian
11th Dec 2011, 11:00
One of our machines did this and shortly thereafter the power supply failed. I don't know whether the high fan speed was the result of the imminent failure or the cause of it, by drawing more power, but you may wish to get that possibility looked at.

Load Toad
11th Dec 2011, 11:32
Given the price of a fan - replace the fan & see what happens.

PowerDragTrim
11th Dec 2011, 13:33
Try this SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)

And this set up guide Using SpeedFan to automatically control your PC’s fan speeds » unitstep.net (http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/using-speedfan-to-automatically-control-your-pcs-fan-speeds/)

Mr Optimistic
11th Dec 2011, 14:34
Which cooling fan, case or cpu ? If the case, does it have its own little temperature sensor ? Also if you look in the bios there are usually options there as to whether the fan is throttled or not. New bios loaded or settings changed ?

Sprogget
11th Dec 2011, 15:21
+1 Do the easy thing first, go into the bios & check to see whether or not there is a temperature fan control setting disabled. If it is, enable it. On my system, it's called q fan control & enables the bios to speed up or slow down the fan according to the cpu temperature.

Loki
11th Dec 2011, 15:44
"The boy" came round this afternoon and had a look at it . I'm not as techie as he is....and he did some magic stuff with the bios (far too esoteric for me) to establish that the CPU temp was 79C.....his diagnosis is that the thermal interface compound (?) has broken down over time and needs replacing....which he has undertaken to do.

Sprogget
11th Dec 2011, 16:01
Well, if that's what's up, it's a five minute job. The paste is smeared on the rear of the cpu & helps conduct heat from the cpu to the vanes on the cooler & the fan itself blows air over those vanes, cooling the whole shebang.

It's a bugger to wash off if you get it on your fingers mind.

Loki
11th Dec 2011, 17:00
I'm told that iso propyl alcohol....I think that's what he called it, is the stuff to use as cleaner.

green granite
11th Dec 2011, 17:06
Vodka works as well :E

Sprogget
11th Dec 2011, 17:37
Vodka works as well http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifA friend runs an hotel in the Alps. The bar has crappy laptops on wifi for the punters & he uses Vodka on the old trackballs to great effect.

Keef
11th Dec 2011, 22:07
Isopropyl alcohol does a much better job on heat sink compound than vodka etc. Don't get either (IPA or HSC) on your fingers if you can help it. I use a matchstick to smear HSC around, and rubber gloves anyway.

70°C is a tad hot for a PC chip. The diagnosis sounds right.