PDA

View Full Version : Flying G reg aircraft on a FAA Licence with JAA Medical? Q

zerotohero
10th Dec 2011, 21:47
Got a question if anyone "knows" the answer and not a best guess

I have an FAA CPL that is current with Bi-annual but my FAA Medical Cert has expired

I also have a JAA ATPL for 737 (multi crew only) is on my licence as SEP expired, and obviously a JAA Class 1 medical

Now I can fly G reg aircraft in the UK on my FAA licence but can I use my JAA medical as the medical, I was thinking yes been as its a ICAO state,, but its a little grey I suppose

Anyone know for sure?

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2011, 22:08
The FARs specify what conditions must be met for one of its licences to be usable, one of which is a medical. In the definitions & other verbiage the FARs only seem to refer to an FAA approved medical examiner issuing an FAA medical. I haven't seen anything in the FARs that approves an alternate source of medical although I'm open to correction.

I think you need an FAA medical.

zerotohero
10th Dec 2011, 22:42
PA-28 or C172, SEL basicly

VFR for fun with friends.

No restrictions on my JAA medical or my expired FAA

Gomrath
10th Dec 2011, 23:54
Now I can fly G reg aircraft in the UK on my FAA licence but can I use my JAA medical as the medical, I was thinking yes been as its a ICAO state,, but its a little grey I supose

You cannot mix and match your medicals and certs. Your FAA certificate is only current with a current FR (FAR 61.56) and you need the medical issued by a FAA approved AME as per Part 67.4.

The only time a non FAA medical can be used is when the certificate is a validation based on a foreign pilot's license issued under FAR 61.75.

Mark 1
10th Dec 2011, 23:57
I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but you can get an FAA class 3 medical done in the UK and then you're 'good to go'.

I've had an FAA ticket issued under FAR61.75 and the FSDO advised me that my JAA Class 1 was acceptable for flying N reg in the US.

Gomrath
11th Dec 2011, 00:06
like I said re 61.75....... :ok:
There are FAA AME's in the UK.

tdk90
11th Dec 2011, 01:52
Can you provide a reference where you can fly G reg on your FAA licence? I too have a JAA ATPL (CRJ only) and FAA ATP ME/ CPL SE, I was thinking about adding a JAA SEP, but if I can fly G reg GA on my FAA CPL then why bother?

zerotohero
11th Dec 2011, 10:13
tdk90

This is a link to info I found, not official but its where I was leaning to

UK FAA Flight Training - News archive and links (http://www.iflyfaa.com/news.html)

peterh337
11th Dec 2011, 11:30
You can fly a G-reg, worldwide VFR, on any ICAO PPL, CPL or ATPL.

This is in the ANO and has been there for many years.

This "automatic validation of foreign papers" is scheduled to end, I gather, under EASA FCL, sometime in 2012.

Not many people know about this; had they known, the UK PPL training business would have been decimated because training in the USA is so much cheaper and if you don't have to go to one of the 6 or 7 JAA-PPL-capable schools there, you have a huge choice.

Whether you can fly a G-reg with an ICAO PPL but a UK medical I don't know. I doubt this has ever been tested. You would need to get a view from the CAA - and good luck with that because nowadays extracting answers to complicated questions like that is like pulling teeth. I've had several answers in 2011 which were written by somebody who clearly didn't understand the issue at all.

One could argue that it is OK, because the CAA can hardly say that the foreign medical is more "important" than its own one :) Especially if the CAA medical is a Class 1 :)

OTOH one could argue that, without a matching (i.e. FAA) medical, your FAA license(s) cannot be used for any flight, which is also true :)

fiveyankee
19th Apr 2012, 07:28
Need some help here trying to decipher the new JAA regulations. We want to ferry a G reg single engine from the UK to Kenya. Our pilot has FAA ATP and Kenya ATP. Under the just implemented JAA regulations, is he able to do so using his FAA license?

In the event he is not, is there some kind of temporary dispensation possible for an export flight? The aircraft is currently on G register and will not be de-registered until after arrival in Kenya

S-Works
19th Apr 2012, 08:22
To the OP, why do you not just renew the SEP to your JAA licence, much easier to do. You are already SEP current enough by the sound of it.

It's just a basic skill test, no exams etc. SRG1157 refers. If you are in the midlands give me a shout and we can do it in a morning then no worries about mixing and matching.

You can take the licence down to Gatwick and they should renew the SEP while you wait if you are in a hurry or if its less than five years expired on the SEP I can sign the licence post test.