PDA

View Full Version : 13 killed in Philippines plane crash

flying.monkeyz
10th Dec 2011, 11:16
(CNN) -- A small plane crashed near the Philippine capital Saturday after its pilot requested an emergency landing, killing at least 13 people, CNN affiliate ABS-CBN reported.

The plane started a fire that scorched a nearby school and about 50 homes near Manila, a local mayor told the affiliate.
At least 20 other people were injured.

The plane reported problems shortly after taking off from an airport, the affiliate reported.

One of the pilots put out an emergency request to land at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila but did not make it.

13 killed in Philippines plane crash - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/10/world/asia/philippines-plane-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Mr A Tis
10th Dec 2011, 12:55
Sadly, being reported as a 4 seater cargo plane. Two pilots & one pax killed along with at least 10 on the ground.

http://http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h9AYc7XPx4e0Fk3oplCz3h84pPMg?docId=CNG.2053fa8d0dabe70 4686a8a1b012ec069.831 (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h9AYc7XPx4e0Fk3oplCz3h84pPMg?docId=CNG.2053fa8d0dabe70 4686a8a1b012ec069.831)

jdc_valentino
10th Dec 2011, 14:27
I've read several reports, from different reporting agencies, on this incident... and I don't think any of them have given me a consistent report at all...

The first one I red stated it was a small single engine 4-seater, so i figured it was a Cessna 172 perhaps. Then I read another one stating it was a multi-engine. A third report stated there were 3 passengers on board, while a fourth claimed the passenger count was 5... :confused:

After that I took a chance and ran a search on the reported tail number, RP-C 824, and found this: ASN Aircraft accident 10-DEC-2011 Beechcraft 65-80 Queen Air RP-C824 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=140324)

bcgallacher
11th Dec 2011, 12:03
From eye witness accounts - not always reliable - it appears to have spun in.If it did this probably reduced the casualties as the crash area would be smaller than if it glided in at a shallow angle.I was in this area about 3 weeks ago and can confirm it is a densely packed populated place. The death toll could have been much higher also if it had been a weekday when the school would be open.

Squealing Pig
12th Dec 2011, 13:30
Left prop seems to be running down could be unfeathered possibly dragging it below VMCA

Sqwak7700
12th Dec 2011, 16:10
Incredible footage. Really too grainy to tell what is going on. The airspeed does not seem unusually slow for that type, so I wonder if it was some sort of prop control issue. I wish the rudder was clearer, but it does seem to be momentarily at full deflection.

Gives you a bit of perspective at how quick it happens. I remember long time ago doing VMC demos, 5000ft being the lowest allowable height. I can see why. :uhoh:

blind pew
19th Dec 2011, 07:59
5000ft! you were lucky - we started off at 300ft south of the Isle of Wight - had full asymmetric power and the stall warning on by 500ft.
Ludicrous exercise that was eventually stopped after a few crashes.

Mike-Bracknell
19th Dec 2011, 10:02
For those of you who were watching without sound, turn the sound on - it sounds like regular misfires occurring.

proudprivate
19th Dec 2011, 11:45
I remember long time ago doing VMC demos, 5000ft being the lowest allowable height.

The official height limit is 3000 ft. But most POH's in small twins explicitly say 5000 ft. The problem is that the aircraft will then stall if you insist on full rudder deflection doing a VMC demo.

Ludicrous exercise that was eventually stopped after a few crashes

Given this accident wouldn't call it a ludicrous exercise, unless of course you're referring to a potentially unsafe altitude to conduct it.

stuckgear
19th Dec 2011, 13:54
*sigh!*

There but for the grace of god go I.

In a position of being too low, too slow; The fabled light twin adage of one engine fails, the other takes you to scene of the crash is indeed apt in many cases.

R.D. Campbell, in his book, Multi Engine Rating covers the effects of asymmetric flight well. Not only should be a coveted text for initial, but also a continued review and re-reading from time to time.

When an engine fails at low airspeed, the effectiveness of the rudder in counteracting yaw is reduced, but directional control can be assisted by banking the aircraft towards the operating engine. It should nevertheless be appreciated that care must be used in relation to the amount of bank applied.
This is because when bank is used the amount of lift directly opposing weight will be reduced and therefore either the angle of attack, or the airspeed, or both, will need to be increased to replace the lost lift. These measures will also create more drag and a further increase in thrust will be demanded. Extra thrust may not be available and in any case increased thrust will worsen the degree of asymmetry.
Further to this, when bank is used the balance indicator will show a condition of sideslip and the pilot will not therefore be able to estimate the degree of balance being achieved , and little or no warning of an approaching critical condition may exist.

Ref: RD Campbell, Multi Engine Rating

I can only offer my condolences to those on the ground and their families and to wish an eternity of blue skies to those in the aircraft.