PDA

View Full Version : EU Treaty blocked

Pace
9th Dec 2011, 10:51
Cameron Blamed For EU Treaty Deal Collapse - Yahoo! (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-leaders-talks-save-eurozone-020316384.html)

It looks like the EU will form a new treaty in the Eurozone minus the UK after the government blocked the existing motion.
As we will no longer be part of the new eurozone how does that leave us legally regarding EASA and their new regs?

Pace

chubbychopper
9th Dec 2011, 12:08
Wishful thinking!

Pace
9th Dec 2011, 16:11
As far as i understand and maybe it will require someone knowlegable to expand on this our Government blocked the new EU proposals.
The only way for the EU to get around this is to form a new EU treaty away from the old effectively sticking the UK on its own and not part of any treaty with the EU?
As such we are not party to any legislation from Europe as the former agreement is literally ripped up.
I am far from an expert on this but would be interested to know how this move will effect aviation and EASA if at all?

Pace

stuckgear
9th Dec 2011, 16:15
As we will no longer be part of the new eurozone how does that leave us legally regarding EASA and their new regs?

The UK wasn't part of the Eurozone before the veto. It remains an EU member state.

Even if the UK retracts from the EU, i should think that EASA membership will be governed by a separate treaty.

peterh337
11th Dec 2011, 11:38
If the UK left the EU (which will not happen) then the EU would not be able to enforce any Directives on the UK.

Then, for example, the current EASA proposal for pilots of foreign reg planes based/operated around the EU to have EASA papers (in addition to the State of Registry papers required under ICAO) would not be enforceable on pilots whose operator is UK based.

Which would be extremely good, but as I say it won't happen.

EASA is just an agency of the EU. EASA needs the EU to pass a Directive in order to get its way.