PDA

View Full Version : CASA vs Thai DCA. Which is the 1st world organisation?

Old Akro
9th Dec 2011, 04:26
Just back from Thailand where I sat their licence exams, and applied for a Thai licence including security checks. Test results and certificate issued immediately. All forms & certification of copies of Aussie documents done on the spot. Total fees about AUD$80 (including licence issue).

Get back to a naughty boy letter from CASA for not paying the $75 fee to process my medical done the day before I left. Long letter detailing the regulations with lots of detail about where I went wrong. But the only reference to actually paying the fee saying that payment options are explained on the accompanying sheet. Except it wasn't in the envelope.

Rang CLARC to pay. Got a temp who took my credit card numbers, but was unable to give me any receipt number, or any confirmation of payment. Says the payment SHOULD be processed next week and I will PROBABLY get a receipt in the mail next week. What about the medical certificate itself I ask - not his department, could not comment.

Why don't we just outsource CASA functions to the Thai DCA?

Frank Arouet
9th Dec 2011, 05:26
What do you expect from such a corrupt, incompetent, taxpayer funded mob of government abetted public hidden and protected psychopaths?

Outsource CASA to NZ would bring about a better result.

Falling Leaf
9th Dec 2011, 06:24
I think you were begging the question in your thread title.:) Obviously the Thai DCA is the 1st world organisation.

I flew with a lot of returned ex-pats who did most of their international flying from the middle east. Always made me laugh how many of them felt they had come back to the third world in terms of Oz's regulations and infrastructure. Oh but wait, I keep forgetting we are world leaders and at the cutting edge of worlds best practice...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

IMHO, the NZ CAA ****s all over CASA, in every aspect.

...still single
9th Dec 2011, 07:40
IMHO, the NZ CAA ****s all over CASA, in every aspect.

Yep. Even PNG CAA gets more done quicker than Oz CASA. US FAA is pretty good (in comparison to OZ).

Is there anyplace worse than Oz CASA?

Hasherucf
9th Dec 2011, 11:37
But Thai's know about a silly little word called ......... service

training wheels
9th Dec 2011, 13:16
Even in Indonesia, you do your medical in the morning and by 1pm the same day, you have your results AND DGCA medical certificate issued to you on the spot. The aviation medical centre has 1st class facilities all under the one roof. Cost of the whole medical PLUS DGCA certificate ... approx $60 AUD.

tolakuma manki
9th Dec 2011, 18:29
Got new Part 66 licence issued by Aust CASA, was missing a rating.
Put in an application, and two days later CLARC rang me.
Fixed the problem on the spot.
Yes, they really are slow and inefficient.
Yep. Even PNG CAA gets more done quicker than Oz CASAYupla spak tumas.:ok:

IAW
9th Dec 2011, 22:12
You think thats bad, a colleague was recently issued a full B1 License rather than a restricted B2 (he was applying for Electrical Group 20 initial issue)

EDIT: He notified them about it the day the envelope arrived and it took a further 4 weeks to fix!

CASA are hopeless.

Andy_RR
9th Dec 2011, 23:38
Got new Part 66 licence issued by Aust CASA

was missing a rating.

Put in an application

two days later CLARC rang me.

Fixed the problem on the spot.

LOL at the lowly expectations...

Capn Bloggs
10th Dec 2011, 00:00
$80/$60: how do they compare with the average wage in relation to Australia's?

Hasherucf
10th Dec 2011, 01:23
$80/$60: how do they compare with the average wage in relation to Australia's?
Of course its high for a Thai person but like any 3rd world country its a 'come as you are ,pay as you go' society. But you get what you want on the spot with a smile.

I still go to Thailand each year to have my dental check up. Its cheaper to pay the airfare and it get it done in Bangkok. My dentist might be expensive by Thai starndards. But like our doctors they are forgien trained . My Bangkok dentist is WA trained :}

For a few more Baht they could have thrown in a massage with a happy ending.

Polonski
10th Dec 2011, 04:50
Obvious answer as others have said! :}

Where did you do the training and can you PM me more info on how you went about it? Do they still have any silly 50nm rules that supposedly were in place 10 years ago when I asked at Hua Hin? And do they accept previous experience towards the Thai licence now?

:ok: Cheers!

inandout
11th Dec 2011, 00:09
totally agree , Outsource CASA to THAI DCA, now that is a great idea.
Lots of Cassa are useless mob of over paid Public wankers.

Fission
11th Dec 2011, 02:34
Tick the box for Malaysian DCA too.

The local guys deal with only specific rules and regulations, not 'interpretations'.

CASA still rates as a 'Most Difficult' regulatory organisation to deal with.

havick
12th Dec 2011, 02:05
One of my work colleagues applied for an ATPL(H) from CASA, they issued him an ATPL(A).

LexAir
12th Dec 2011, 03:35
I know of a student who recently had his applications for an ASIC and Student Licence returned to him by CASA unprocessed because he did not fill out his name in block letters! His name was clearly readable though. this stupid action delayed his application by 4 weeks and prevented him from going solo.

The really absurd thing about this was that the form in question was only an authority for his flying school to access his information. It had nothing to do with the applications for ASIC or SPL which were filled out perfectly.

Old Akro
17th Dec 2011, 00:55
Its been a week and I don't have the promised receipt or any confirmation that CASA took my money. Let alone a medical. How did it work that we got user pays without any accountability to the user?

Fission
17th Dec 2011, 01:21
Tsk !

It's "User Pays"

nothing in any reference to "User gets any service standards"

F

bankrunner
17th Dec 2011, 01:35
havick, if he sends the paperwork back in and they send him an ATPL(H) second time round he'll have two for the price of one :E

mtrench
17th Dec 2011, 04:19
I have never been so outraged at a government agency than i have with CASA. It took over 2 months to sort out my medical, and there were absolutely no reasons given. Just took me calling up to 2 times a day before i got an answer.

Credit to one employee though who i spoke to a few times and got angry at, who actually was the only helpful person there.

aroa
17th Dec 2011, 05:15
Why dont CASA do 'cover notes' like an insurance company.??

So while they sort out the fn paperwork and eventually get around to posting it out...yr GA business could get on with the business of staying in business.

Many moons ago we had an Ops inspection prior to an approval for an AOC addition. FOI departs with the final statement that the Approval would be faxed back fom his office within 48 hours.! Ha bloody ha!
We finally got that 7 MONTHS later, and by that time the business opportunity was L O N G gone.:{
Do they care? Hell no! Whether they do anything or nothing, the taxpayer tit
provides a regular squirt. Not so out in the real world.

And I only elicited a final response with a long distance call ( one of many) with 5 re-directions, and many "expletives deleted".
The receiver must have been a CASA newbie... called back and apologised for the delay.
Such is life in an Ineptocracy.! :mad::mad:

tarmac12
17th Dec 2011, 09:37
I applied for a M/E PIFR on the strenght of my MECIR. Sent the forms off and money came out of my credit card quicker than you can swipe it. Over 4 weeks later and nothing! Called and was told it would be put on the bottom of CLARC staff members "long to do list".

That wasn't long after it taking 3 attempts for CASA to post me a licence that had my picture on it instead of a solid black square.

Asked who to complain to and was told I could write to them. When asked if I could speak to someone I was told no one was available due to staff shortages.

TSRABECOMING
18th Dec 2011, 06:46
CASA has already outsourced to ASL for exams and we have to pay double for the fee. CASA charges says, $65 and ASL want appx $120+ for exam like IREX.

Thai DCA is much better. and If you experience Thai medical is great too. It is where you can 'walk in' and do all medical exam within 2 hrs.

bankrunner
18th Dec 2011, 08:11
aroa, I'm no lawyer but that sounds like nonfeasance in public office to me. Hope you/your boss went and got legal advice!

T28D
18th Dec 2011, 11:37
nonfeasance Surely you mean Mal feasance even though the performance of CASA would justify a new word Nonfeasance = classic non performance thus no "feasance" could apply.

English as she is spoke !!!!

aroa
19th Dec 2011, 11:46
If you went to a lawyer every time ya had a query about CASA persons behaviour you'd just be broker than before. Remember CASA has the endless bucket of taxpayers dollars to pour out all over the floor.

Unless you are very well heeled like Dick as in Smith, joe citizen just cant cut it financially, CASA knows that, thats why they have a bash at individuals. And that's why no CASA body has ever had a go at Dick.

The feasances.. I did have them written down somewhere,correct me if I'm wrong here.
nonfeasance. NOT acting on/doing that which you are supposed to do. Quiet common.You point out to a CASA person that someone is breaching a reg.and they just shrug and take a walk. Classical 'non performance', well put.

malfeasance. misconduct/ bad behaviour of an official. See "Ethics & Conduct Commitee" :\

misfeasance. criminal behaviour of officials: actions wrong in law.

They are the CASA 3 amigos... Mal, Mis and Non. As we know.
They also have some pals, Defam and BS. CASA trots them out,too.

Remember, anything can be done in the name of "safety". :mad:

Tsrabe... read the CASA financials, this exam biz must be one right little earner, 10/11 year, cost of ASL from the taxpayer...$4.6 mil. !!
No small trough that. I'm sure I'm wrong that any ex CASA people would be involved there. :confused:

And as for "staff shortages"... its a CASA office mantra that has been sung for yonks, and is CYA excuse for all things.:D

And so it goes unless we can wreak some severe alterations to the rotten :yuk: place

Old Akro
24th Dec 2011, 01:29
Here here! In fact just some staff in the real world instead of Canberra would help.