PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town for PPL flying

RMK
8th Dec 2011, 15:01
On short notice, I’m going to Cape Town for a week. Staying in the Stellenbosch area and while there would like to do some flying (JAA PPL(H) w/ R44 & R22 ratings).

I remember that SA flying involves taking their local air law exam. Would anyone know if this can be done in London via their embassy? Also, any suggestions/feedback on helicopter operators/schools in the area would be most welcome.

Thanks

Helinut
8th Dec 2011, 16:44
The other option on a trip like that is to take a local pilot/instructor with you. Effectively, you use his licence and don't have to worry about the paperwork. Even if you sorted the paperwork most places would want a very through checkout before contemplating hiring you one of their birds. Take a local pilot and enjoy the experience and make use of his local knowledge.

Capetonian
8th Dec 2011, 17:02
I can't help you with flying related matters, but if you need any help or contacts in other areas, please PM me. I'm not in SA at the moment but would be happy to give you information etc if needed. Have a wonderful time!

ToTall
8th Dec 2011, 17:32
Heli at CPT airport is an outstanding outfit. Talk with Jannie or Dani and they will set you up.

TT

bell 206 pilot
8th Dec 2011, 18:15
Why don't you treat yourself and do a B206 conversion with Base4 Aviation - they have a current special rate for around GBP420 per hour all in if you buy 5 hours. Based at CT international airport.

birrddog
8th Dec 2011, 20:18
Heli is a great outfit and Jani is a pleasure, and flying with Frank Pieters-Hollenberg at Base4 is a privilege.

RMK
16th Dec 2011, 13:10
Thanks for the above recommendations. I've been speaking with HELI in Cape Town and they have been extemely helpful in getting me sorted with the SA CAA validation and hopefully in the air SFH.

After my trip, I'll drop a note on the process for others wishing to do the same.

unstable load
17th Dec 2011, 05:41
Or you could treat yourself to an AS350 conversion with Silvercross, also at CTIA.

RMK
26th Dec 2011, 15:13
Thanks for the prior feedback. During my holiday, I completed the foreign license validation with HELI at Cape Town International and found them to be very professional and helpful.

For anyone else wishing to undertake the same, following are the notes:

Procedure for Foreign License Validation – PPL (H)

- take & pass South Africa Air Law Exam
- perform local check flight (area familiarisation & procedures)
- perform check flight with SACAA DE (Designated Examiner)
- docs & fees to SACAA as follows:

- completed SACAA Form CA61.01.14
- copy of valid foreign license and medical (certified copy)
- copy of passport (certified copy)
- copy of last four pages of logbook (certified copy)
- 2 passport-size photos
- SACAA issuance fee of ZAR 340.00

Materials:
Book: “South African Air Law for Private Pilots” by Lilith Seals
Website: mock/practice exams at: PPL Air Law - Free Online PPL and CPL Mock Exams (http://exams.morza.co.za/lawPPL.php)

SACAA Forms/Docs:
checklist: http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/licensing&exams/Documents/forms%20&%20apps/Documents/licencing/CA61-01.14a.pdf
form: http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/licensing&exams/Documents/forms%20&%20apps/Documents/licencing/New%20part%2061/CA%2061-01.14%20Application%20for%20validation%20or%20conversion%20o f%20a%20foreign%20licence%20or%20rating.pdf

At a minimum, plan for two separate half days for the exams and flights and then a following two days for the completion/receipt of docs from the SACAA – of course this is a best case scenario, so allow room for delay.