PDA

View Full Version : Flights via European hubs and insurance

Hartington
8th Dec 2011, 12:40
Travelmole (http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=1150584)

I think you may need to register to see what's on the end of the link so here's a copy:

>>>>>

Insurer warns passengers against tax-free flights

Passengers flying via European hubs to avoid paying UK air passenger duty are being warned they may not be fully protected by their travel insurance.

Insurance provider Essential Travel said that passengers flying via the Continent would not be covered if they missed their connecting flight as a result of their flight to Europe being delayed.

Essential's Stuart Bensusan said: "In the majority of cases, holiday makers are unlikely to be covered under their travel insurance if they miss their long-haul flight as a result of their first, short-haul flight being delayed - normally it's the initial international journey that is covered.”

More passengers could be tempted to take long-haul flights from a European hub rather than direct from the UK to avoid the latest increase in air passenger duty, which was confirmed by the Treasury yesterday.

From April 2012, the tax will rise by roughly 8%, twice the rate of inflation.

By Linsey McNeill

>>>>>

I'm surprised it has taken this long for the warning to be issued and I'm guessing it's because this insurer has had a claim. The travel supplements in the daily press happily explain how you can save money by "connecting" at a European hub but I don't think I've ever seen them explain the risks.

Seperate tickets (which is what you have to do to save the tax) means separate contracts and each contract requires check in at the departure point on time. Late flight from the UK means late arrival at the hub and if that means you miss your connection then the airline reaction can be "tough buy a new ticket".

Now, I realise some airlines will through check two tickets or turn a blind eye so sometimes you will get away with a missed connection but I believe the risk should be better explained.

I'm done!

PAXboy
8th Dec 2011, 12:50
Thanks for the info Hartington. My guess is that they have had a lot more than one claim!

Also, it's important to remember that 'insurance' was invented on the premise of NOT paying out. :hmm:

ExXB
8th Dec 2011, 16:41
As you say they are talking about using two separate tickets to make your connection. For example Squeezy from the UK to AMS and then KL to out and beyond.

In this example you would only pay the UK APD for the Squeezy flight, but nothing beyond (as the NL no longer imposes a tax). However you risk misconnecting and losing your connecting flight (for which you might not be insured against)

However if you bought two tickets on one airline (for example KL to AMS connecting to KL) I suspect they would treat this as a through connection and if you misconnected they would treat you as is you had a through ticket.

Yes, you can save a bundle by connecting on separate tickets, but stay on-line.

The SSK
9th Dec 2011, 10:22
Or, if you love your national airline, fly EZY to AMS and then BA AMS-LON-Wherever, avoiding APD as it’s not payable on direct transfer journeys.

Hartington
9th Dec 2011, 11:14
ExXB: don't kid yourself.